We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extended Stay.... Neighborhood Advice

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
135 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Extended Stay.... Neighborhood Advice

We're going to take a Portland Vacation Rental for two months, August and September. We've narrowed the condo choices down to three and was wondering if anyone could suggest for overall enjoyment, walking, safety, entertainment, eating out etc., which might be the best choice.

One location is at 1829 NW Lovejoy St.

One location is in Goose Hollow

Third is along the river at 710 NW Naito Parkway

Thanks

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extended Stay.... Neighborhood Advice

My choice would be Lovejoy.

Goose Hollow after that ..

Naito Pkwy would not be a choice of mine at all.

Lovejoy will put you in a perfect location for walking , shopping, eating and sightseeing and transportation will be the Streetcar.

Here is the streetcar website but there is a Map , so you can look at where you will be located and what is in the area ..

Have fun, what a treat to be there for 2 months !

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1396-Portland_…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extended Stay.... Neighborhood Advice

My first choice would be Lovejoy as well, but my second choice would be McCormick Pier on Naito. You can cross the new little bridge they have over the railroad tracks and find yourself next to Union Station, and from there it's an easy walk to anywhere.

Depending on where in Goose Hollow the condo is, you might be right next to a MAX stop, which is nice. Although that is definitely outside of Fareless Square so you'll need a tri-met pass.

18th and Lovejoy sounds pretty posh.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extended Stay.... Neighborhood Advice

18th and Lovejoy has you close to NW21st and all those restaurants, Cinema 21 and NW23rd and all that shopping, Wildwood, Paleys Place, St Honore Patisserie and an easy hop to any part of town that the Streetcar goes as well ...

Is there still all that construction going on along the Riverfront?

I would consider that ( noise etc) .. but being right in the middle of a neighborhood is more appealing to me.

Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extended Stay.... Neighborhood Advice

I would agree with the other post-ers; Lovejoy is the best location for walking safety, entertainment, eating out, etc. Enjoy.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
135 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extended Stay.... Neighborhood Advice

Thanks everybody for your advice. I was wondering if I could ask you all a question that takes it to the next level of detail....because I'm in China and can't check anything out myself.

The name of the Apartment on Lovejoy is the Royal Arms Apartments. Both the pictures and description and contact with the owner are all positive.

However the reviews on apartmentratings.com that run from 2002 to 2007 are less then stellar.

Anybody have any first hand knowledge of the place?

Regards

GB

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extended Stay.... Neighborhood Advice

While I do not have first hand knowledge of the Royal Arms, I did see (on rating sites) that residents are not voting this as a great place. Perhaps it is as a short term rental.

I would have agreed with others that Lovejoy would have been first, until I read residents reviews. That truly means nothing, as it may be a great place.

Without reading the reviews, I would have voted:

Lovejoy

Naito (not sure if there is construction on NW Naito, although there seems to be there and in the Pearl, the south waterfront seems fairly quiet at this point.)

Goose Hollow (although that depends. I have friends to who live in a condo in Goose Hollow. It is fantastic with a far better view than anything in the Pearl or the South Waterfront.)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extended Stay.... Neighborhood Advice

I might have some insight on this. Can I ask the name of the rental management company?

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
135 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extended Stay.... Neighborhood Advice

None of the reviews list the name of the Management Company. Though I did find a reference that seems to indicate that IPM Co. (Income Property Management) handles it. Below is a typical tenant review but it's from 2007 and there have been no reviews since then.

When my husband and I first moved into the Royal arms, the management/building condition was excellent. We have been living almost two years when the building was sold and the management was taken over by another company. Since then, the building has degraded drastically. The new manager keeps less than 4 hours a day. Maintenence requests have to be put on a clip board outside her office and 'might' get seen to at some undisclosed point. The hallways and grounds are no longer cleaned. The manager has since decided to completely refuse to receive any packages, so if you work normal business hours, you will never get your packages. She won't even let the delivery people in the door.

On top of all that, the rent is being jacked up way beyond the worth of the apartment. We have a tiny little apartment (600 sq ft) and are paying nearly $750 for it.

I would not recommend anyone move into this building while it is under the current management.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extended Stay.... Neighborhood Advice

Ok, it looks like it was converted into condos sometime around 2007, so none of those reviews on aptratings dot com are going to be relevant anymore. It seems you're either renting this apartment from a private owner or a management company depending on which unit you're renting. Since it's been remodeled and retooled for condo use instead of apartments, I would totally disregard every old review you read on that site.

By the way, if you know the unit number of the condo, you can find a lot of fun info about it at www.portlandmaps.com.

So I still vote Lovejoy.

10. Re: Extended Stay.... Neighborhood Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2010, 05:18