We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aerial Tram and the Streetcar

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
790 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Aerial Tram and the Streetcar

Hello again. You're probably all sick of me by now, but I have just one last question. Well, at least I think it's the last one...LOL

I was looking into taking the Aerial Tram and perhaps the streetcar to get a better prospective of your beautiful city. Can these means of transportation be used for this purpose or are they mearly a means of getting from A to B ? I was thinking that maybe we could just do a round trip, you know, to have a " look-see. " Thanks!

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aerial Tram and the Streetcar

The aerial tram was never intended as a tourist venue- it was built to help carry folks up to the hospital. It does get press on some of the visitor sites, but that's not what it was built for.

On the other hand, the streetcar is a great way to see the downtown area and I think it is still in the free zone, but don't quote me on that one.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aerial Tram and the Streetcar

Once again, I echo footloose:)

I can tell a story of an accident victim who spent several weeks at OHSU recently, and her friends/family used the tram to go visit her. Let's just say that I heard quite a few comments during that time about some of the riders of the tram...

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
790 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aerial Tram and the Streetcar

Thanks, I guess we'll pass on the tram as I certainly don't want to infringe upon worried visitors to the hospital. I saw that the hospital was the final destination, but the site also made it look like it was something for a tourist to do to see the skyline of Portland. Guess I'll just have to find a restaurant/bar that's up HIGH! LOL The streetcar does sound doable, however. Thanks!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aerial Tram and the Streetcar

One place that does have a great view is Portland City Grill, but that comes with its own set of arguements, lol! The views are good as are the drinks, but it tends to have a meat market atmosphere, so I would suggest going early and checking out the views, then going elsewhere, unless you are looking to get picked up;)

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
790 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aerial Tram and the Streetcar

Oh Mtngrl, you're a hoot! No, I don't want to get " picked up." Unless it's by my husband. LOL I've checked out the PCG and it looks pretty cool and a short distance from our hotel.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aerial Tram and the Streetcar

Views:

from the grounds of the Pittock Mansion (free )

from the Rose Test Gardens

from the Japanese Gardens

from the trail up from NW 27th & Upton ( do correct me if I spelled the street wrong) in Forest Park ..

http://www.forestparkconservancy.org/

Level Contributor
36,329 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aerial Tram and the Streetcar

The Portland City Grill is a great place to go to see the city, try to go at night, the city lights are beautiful at night. We had a very nice lunch at PCG with 3 of our kids, the food was very good, the Sushi was especially good. I have a review posted on this site of our time there. Have fun! :)

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aerial Tram and the Streetcar

Hey Foxy-

Scarlett had suggestions for the gardens and Pittock Mansion for views- and that is all accessible from public transportation.

I recently read about a rooftop bar downtown and I thought about you when I saw it, but now I can't find the site again to give you more- maybe someone more familiar with downtown can help....the description mentioned that its on the sixth floor and has views overlooking downtown from the bar. I thought it was for the Hilton, but going back to their site, that doesn't seem to fit.

It could have been on barfly.com...but I didn't find it when I went back.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
790 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aerial Tram and the Streetcar

Thanks everyone. I'm going to the Pittock Mansion on Thursday while the hubby white water rafts. I LOVE that sort of thing and he doesn't; I looked at the reviews of the mansion and the view is mentioned in every one of them. The entire place looks simply gorgeous and I look forward to seeing it.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aerial Tram and the Streetcar

I took this from the grounds of the Pittock Mansion on a hot summer day.

…tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/15/7a/f7/t…

And that shiny building in the middle is the Bankcorp Building where the Portland City Grill is located, top floor... if you like Singles Club atmosphere, you will like it lol ...( but that might just be me)

…tripadvisor.com/media/…pearl-district.jpg