We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it better to live in Portland (City Limits) or the...

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Evergreen, Colorado
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it better to live in Portland (City Limits) or the...

I am moving to Portland and will be working in Portland. I am not really a city person but from what I hear, Portland is a very small city. The reasons, I don't usually like cities is because my wife and I enjoy the outdoors and I like to fish as well. I have lived in downtown Denver and really like it there, but hated living in larger and overpopulated Chicago. I figured it would be best to live in Portland because it is small and we would be able to meet people. The neighborhoods of Portland, to me, don't seem very city-like. We are young (25 years old) so I think it would be best to live in the city limits, i.e. Hollywood, St. Johns, Overlook etc. Any feedback on living in the city limits verses a Suburb and if you prefer a Suburb, which ones are nice? I will be working at adidas so I would prefer not to have a long commute and I hear it is horrible to get from Beaverton (West of the city) into town.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it better to live in Portland (City Limits) or the...

Oh man, don't get me started on the suburbs...

Anyway, I don't really know about the commute because i walk to work (six blocks), but i hear it's kinda hit or miss. Depending on what part of Beaverton you're looking at, you can take the MAX directly to work.

I'm very biased against the suburbs, so you can take this with a grain or shaker of salt: If you don't mind jumping in your car every time you want to go to the store, movies, bar, restaurant, etc., then the suburbs are great. If you find a house outside of Multnomah County, you can even avoid paying the 1.5% county income tax. I hear the Olive Garden has a great marinara sauce. It tastes like ketchup with a kick!

Conversely, if you prefer to be within walking distance of a bus stop, a blackberry martini, tapas, independent film, Flexcar, a shoe boutique, people under 30 but over 18, crime, and weird shops that seem to only sell used mattresses, then i'd move to the city.

The way they build suburbs these days are kinda cool though. Most of them are surrounded by little parks in the mini-canyons with trails and creeks and such.

If i were moving to portland, i'd put most of my stuff in storage and rent an apartment on southeast Belmont or northeast Alberta or up on Sylvan hill on a month-to-month basis while i looked for a place to live, spending equal time in each neighborhood and suburb.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it better to live in Portland (City Limits) or the...

Welcome back, portlandbound:

Since we've exchanged info in this forum before, it won't surprise that my vote is for the "city" for a young couple like you two. Knowing you'll be at adidas HQ and that you like the idea of the close-knit, friendly neighborhood then I believe you'd be very happy in one of the areas you mentioned. (BTW: I hope you had a chance to look over that Portland Monthly neighborhood link I posted recently...very good info on all areas.). Be sure to check out many areas when you visit and perhaps even meet with a good realtor while you're here to discuss things further.

I used to make the Sunset (US-26) commute when I lived in Hillsboro (beyond Beaverton) and concur that it wasn't fun. Recent construction work has added lanes since I lived out there but I hear it's still a mess. My buddy who just moved from NoPo to Beaverton, likes where he lives but despises the daily commute to downtown.

Just my opinion...but with oregone's vote the score is...

City:2

Suburbs: 0

(LOL about the Olive Garden marinara sauce...)

Brian

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it better to live in Portland (City Limits) or the...

As a newbie I can only say that I agree with the guys here.

We did just what Oregone said, we rented a storage room here in town, put most of our belongings in it and rented a one bedroom loft apt right in the heart of the Pearl.

I had lived in a couple of houses that required getting in the car whenever I wanted to do Anything and was so sick of it.

I wanted to walk out my door and be in the middle of City life. And I got it. My husband was the one who was wary of it but so far, he is talking about getting a bigger apt, right here in town.

If you don't have children, I see no reason to live out of town. And Portland is not your usual city with the downtown and then the suburbs where everyone lives. People live all over town. And there are parks and a huge forest a few minutes away by train or even walking.

We did go to Beaverton to buy something, we sat in terrible traffic in the middle of the afternoon trying to get back into town.

ps-

We lived in NYC, Portland is nothing like that, or Chicago when it comes to the way people use and live IN the city.

Look in the NW 20's ...

Good luck to you, I think you will love it here :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,950 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it better to live in Portland (City Limits) or the...

Another vote for the city. We live in the suburbs, but are older than you and with children, and for us it is perfect, but I realize that is not right for everyone. We are SW of the city, and my husband commutes into downtown for work. The commute is not bad at all.

I lived in Beaverton years ago and commuted to both downtown and the east side of Portland. I would not do that now though. Too much traffic/congestion.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it better to live in Portland (City Limits) or the...

Looks unanimous; look for a spot in the City, portlandbound. The only place I might consider in the burbs would be something like Multnomah Village, SW of town. Not your typical strip-mall suburbia with mile after mile of housing tracts, but a nice community feel in a well established almost rural feeling area, and still within 10-15 minutes of the City center.

Hey oregone, unless you've tried Alba, don't knock the food out here! There are a couple hidden gems we do our best to keep out of the sight of you city folk. And Olive Garden ain't one of 'em!

Perpetually...
Level Contributor
88 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it better to live in Portland (City Limits) or the...

CITY CITY CITY!!!

Why live somewhere that could be anytown USA, when you can live in a cool, hip place like Portland proper? I find most suburbs to be universally bland, and the Portland suburbs are no exception. Strip malls, generic homes and chain restaurants... quite a nightmarish combination in my opinion. I would understand if you had kids, but if not, my vote would be for city life.

And you are right about traffic. The roads leading to Portland city center during morning rush hour are congested.

Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it better to live in Portland (City Limits) or the...

Are you gonna be employed at Adidas on N. Greeley?

Stay in that neighborhood! Mississippi Ave., Albina, Alberta etc. You might be able to find a property close enough to ride your bike to work. That would be SO Portland...

I agree with the previous posts, no reason whatsoever to live out in the 'burbs. Plus, with Portland's Urban Growth Boundary, you're gonna be able to get out of town quick and easy. Live in the city, it's definitely where it's at.

Napa Valley...
Level Contributor
351 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it better to live in Portland (City Limits) or the...

I've asked this on a different thread, but here's a different spin:

what's the hippest place to live near PJA?

what's the prettiest place to live near PJA?

what's your favorite place to live near PJA?

THanks again,

Celle

(and only 36 hours until I'm in Portland, too!)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it better to live in Portland (City Limits) or the...

I don't know that you should expect any different answers than what you've already gotten, Celle, but:

1. Hippest - Multnomah Village area

2. Prettiest - Take a drive down Garden Home Road, from Multnomah Village, and turn off on cross streets that look interesting to you.

3. Favorite - There's this house in Ash Creek in Garden Home that I've had my eye on for a long time.......

Good luck on the house hunting, but save time to just enjoy the city.

Napa Valley...
Level Contributor
351 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it better to live in Portland (City Limits) or the...

Thanks. Actually, once our interviews/meetings are over on Friday, this weekend will be all fun. We'll come up again in 2-3 weeks without my daughter so that we can do some hard-core house hunting.

In the meantime, if any of you hear of a darling house for sale or rent...

Gracias,

Celle