We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hot Springs

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Hot Springs

Hello!

Visiting Oregon soon, and wanted to know about any recommended hot springs locations. Any part of Oregon is okay but keep in mind we'll be driving from Portland.

Don't want to pick a random place and go there based on a google search... so if anyone here has actually been, or knows of friends who have, then feel free to advise!

Thanks

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hot Springs

So far I have Bagby and Terwilliger on my list of potential places. Are these the best options?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,169 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hot Springs

http://www.kahneeta.com/

The Kahneeta resort on the Warm Springs Reservation might be of interest.

http://belknaphotsprings.com/

Belknap Springs along the McKenzie River Hwy is farther south, but offers great scenic opportunities along the river and the Cascades.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hot Springs

There is also Carson Hot Springs in Carson Washington. It is less than an hour from Portland.

Drive up the Columbia River Gorge to Cascade Locks and cross the river at Bridge of the Gods. Head east on State Route 14 thru Stevenson WA. Carson is just a few miles further east.

I've been by the hot springs there, but never stopped. However, I know folks who have and they love it. It's a little 'funky', but I understand that they have added some upgrades.

www.carsonhotspringresort.com

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hot Springs

I'm not sure how Bagby is doing lately. I stopped going there 10 years ago after the crime wave swept through the parking lot of the trailhead. I know that The Friends of Bagby people are trying their best. I tried to go to Austin Hot Springs last year, but it looked WAY too sketchy when we pulled up. Maybe that's a by-product of being over 30.

How about Cougar Hot Springs? I haven't been there since '99, but that was a blast. If you get there and it's too crowded, you can always head over to Belknap.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hot Springs

Thanks for the tips!

I'm looking for more of a "place in the woods" as opposed to a resort. But I'll look into these suggestions.

I think Terwilliger is the same as Cougar (I think??).

Saw some pictures of Cougar after I posted and it looks like that could get crowded fast, and I'm not that interested in meeting other people naked in a hot spring haha.

Bagby looks like more of a hideaway in the woods, so i'm leaning towards that. Could it really be that sketchy?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,169 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hot Springs

The closest I ever got to Cougar (Terwilliger) was more than 10 years ago when we drove by and tried not to stare at the naked bodies on the bridge. It was, for a long time, a den of drugs, free love and not a little danger for those not in the lifestyle.

Now that there are fees for parking and use, the springs are apparently far more user friendly and cleaner. I'm not sure it's worth a trip down from Portland just for these springs, but they are easily combined with Belknap and the McKenzie River area.

If you have time, you might base yourself in Eugene/Springfield, Sisters or Bend for a day or two and explore the area. You say you're coming "soon," but not when. As we get into mid to late September, weather might influence your decision. Winter can come early to the Cascades and, while the springs might still be hot, the air might be a bit frigid, especially for nude bathers.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hot Springs

Hey- Again, thanks.

I'll be there in 2 weeks. I'm a fan of water activities, and aside from going to the hot springs I wanted to find a "hike to a waterfall and jump in" location. There is some info around online, but if you have any other advice I'd love to hear.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,169 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hot Springs

Wildwood Falls just east of Cottage Grove is a popular summer swimming spot, drawing crowds on weekends. The falls are only 15 ft., though.

At the base of South Falls in Silver Falls State Park, you'll find people wading, but not really swimming. In the central Cascades we have lots of lakes and rivers, but you have to be really brave to try swimming in most of them, since most are fed by snowmelt and underground springs. I don't know of any swimming holes at the base of waterfalls in this area. Perhaps, someone else will know.

The temperature in Clear Lake, which is the source of the McKenzie River and nearby Sahalie Falls is a steady year-round 34-36 degrees.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hot Springs

Yikes that's cold

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hot Springs

Carson Hot Springs is definitely not in the woods, they pump the water in to a "historic" bath house, where you soak, then they wrap you in a blanket and let you lay and relax for a bit. I would not consider this a "resort" experience, the place is a bit off the beaten path, but you aren't in a wooded setting either. That being said, it really is a unique experience all it's own. I, myself, am overdo for a visit back!!!

Bagby Hot Springs has had lots of problems in the past. It has been known as a place to go and party, as previously mentioned, they have been working hard to clean the place up and change the public perception. I, however, don't know of anyone that has any recent experience there.

I don't know if you have already found this website or not...

oregonhotsprings.immunenet.com/bagby.htm

It does list Austin Hot Springs, which is in the vicinity of Bagby, but, if this is the one I am thinking of, it is not on public land, and there have been incidents of people being severely burned by the water there, and I think that had something to do with why it was closed to the general public. Someone can correct me if I am wrong and thinking of someplace else, which is entirely possible, since I am not yet receiving the full effect from my coffee.