We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

University of Portland (& weather ??)

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wild, Wild West
Level Contributor
430 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
University of Portland (& weather ??)

My wife and daughter are heading up to Portland for a school visit in December and I was curious to hear people's thoughts on the area surrounding the school. Anything especially good or bad about the area? If you attended the school, I'd love to hear your thoughts about all aspects of the school. She would be a nursing major if that makes a difference.

Any must see areas? msut try restaurants? in the Portland area

I have (2) weather related questions. Everybody know about the stereo-typical "wet" Pacific Northwest but how often does it actually rain. Is it like Hawaii where it rains 5 days a week but only for a few minutes a day or are there constant downpours? Does Portland ever get snow that sticks around? Sorry for the silly questions but I just read the unbrella thread and was surprised to learn that people don't use them.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: University of Portland (& weather ??)

"Everybody know about the stereo-typical "wet" Pacific Northwest but how often does it actually rain."

Not that often, really. Precipitation in Portland is usually more like a constant drizzle, seemingly unending.... At least that's the way one of my college professors described it years ago. ;-) He may not have been exactly accurate, but when there's a reasonable expectation of rain/precipitation any day from mid-October through mid-June, how we experience weather here would suggest that he's not too far off. Yes, there are days/weeks during fall/winter/spring when the skies are blue, but the predominant color during those months is grey. And, it's rare, but we sometimes do get snow that sticks around for more than a couple days.

If you're asking about safety of the area around U of P, I wouldn't be concerned. As for location, it has its pluses and minuses, none of them overriding. Good school. I'd be proud of a daughter who was accepted into the nursing program there.

Must try restaurants? Where will your wife and daughter be staying?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,720 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: University of Portland (& weather ??)

Mistletoe is pretty much on target regarding the weather. Portland is 100 miles north of us in Eugene and that translates into a bit colder weather than we have (especially when the Columbia Gorge windtunnel is zeroing in on Portland). The drippy, damp and sometimes dismal grayness through the winter months, right into May and June, can get to some people, especially newcomers from more tropical and sunny climes.

However, life goes on and, after awhile, it isn't such a big thing anymore.

On most days, there are breaks in the weather, allowing for outdoor walks and runs. You'll see people on the running paths and trails year round, regardless of the weather.

Most people get by with hooded outdoor wear (REI, Columbia type outdoors stuff). Some hang on to their umbrellas, but most find it more of a hassle that it's worth. When we first moved here, we couldn't get over the kids hanging around on their way to and from school in the rain...with NO raingear! I asked a native Oregonian what kind of raincoat to buy and he said he didn't own one! I had a nice long London Fog raincoat, but it now keeps all my suits and ties that I don't wear anymore company. Since retiring, I don't even own any leather dress shoes anymore. Black Rockports serve as "formal wear."

All of this is off the topic of weather...but gives you an insight into Oregonian attitudes. We're too busy doing things in the rain to let the rain bother us (until June, when even we say "enough is enough!").

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: University of Portland (& weather ??)

Do you know wehre the classes are?"? Friend of mine went to UP in nursing a few years ago?. Many of her classes at the hospital. But that sure could be different now.

We lived near UP for 5 years, enjoyed living there, but that was a few years ago. UP does have good influnce on neghborhoods nearby Our nearby was 2 miles.

Baker City
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: University of Portland (& weather ??)

More information than you probably want about Oregon weather:

oregonphotos.com/Climate-Northwestern-Oregon…

Tracy, California
Level Contributor
244 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: University of Portland (& weather ??)

We are Californians who own a condo in Portland. Portland is wet, but not that wet. An umbrella is more like it than enough rain gear. The college is well located, but like any campus one needs to be careful. It is close to lots of things. Portland has super public transportation too. As for snow -- hardly any EXCEPT last Christmas. They are not used to it because of the warm Japanese current. Last year it was 15 inches and stayed. The Oregonians seemed to complain more than the Californians.

McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
112 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: University of Portland (& weather ??)

www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/OR/Portland

Farmers almanac is 85% accurate. PDX is safer then most large cities, but just be smart about your choices.(eg: 2am and dark alley alone is a no no.) The worst in the news cast lately has been 2 or 3 families doing murder/suicide, most likely the economy. You will love it here.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,877 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: University of Portland (& weather ??)

Portland has some of the best summers we have had in years but the winter is definitely wet. If it is not downright pouring, it is drizzling or sprinkling or very heavy mist :) Or as in the winters we were there and last year .. a nice amount of snow.

According to an Almanac weather website.. Seattle gets 154 wet days a year, Portland gets 151..

But I have to say that having friends in Portland and having lived there, I never heard complaining about rain. It is a fact of life and many of my friends loved the rain. I think it is the out of state types that complain the most.. most Oregonians love the rain.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: University of Portland (& weather ??)

Snow happens, usually unexpectedly. Sometimes it sticks around and gets icey. Usually not. Rain should be expected and it tends to come in all day drizzles. An umbrella is advised.

The area aroud the school is good, but not hotel-laden. You might want to stay closer to downtown and use a rental car. I like the Embassy Suites for comfort and price point. Others may have suggestions as well.

Have a wonderful visit!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: University of Portland (& weather ??)

Yes, expect rain...the constant drizzle type as the other locals and exlocals have already mentioned. I don't own an umbrella and get by just fine. Actually, I don't know anyone personally who uses one either...except my mom but she lives in CA, lol:)

Snow is not typical here, but if we get it it will shut things down. With all the hills around here, it just makes things pretty messy for getting around. Last winter we loved it! Everyone on our street realized we were stuck at home for days on end and we made the best of it and had a really good time. But for a visitor, it would be different since you have an agenda.

Enjoy your time here:)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,877 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: University of Portland (& weather ??)

I have some of the best photos of Portland in the snow, when everything just stopped.

It was so great .. everyone was out walking in the streets and snowball fights broke out in the park .. the dog was able to run without a leash since no cars were coming.. he actually thought snowballs were balls and tried to catch them lol.

It is in the 80s in BA and here I am, missing Portland winter .. :O)