We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Sunriver for Thanksgiving

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
80 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Sunriver for Thanksgiving

I am exploring the idea of going to Sunriver for Thanksgiving. I don't own a car, so would be using a Zipcar, but am worried how difficult a drive it would be (obviously as a non-car owner I also don't drive much, and have no idea about putting on snow chains). Any experiences or advice anyone can share?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Sunriver for Thanksgiving

I understand most rental agencies won't allow them because of possible damage to the car, so I guess the first thing you should do is ask if it's okay to put tire chains on a Zipcar. If so, you'd need to buy a set that you're sure will fit. Even then though, if there's snow and/or ice on the road, the drive to Sunriver would be difficult, experienced driver or not. And, there are obviously no guarantees that the weather won't be disagreeable.

I was wondering why Sunriver for Thanksgiving. Unless you're planning to ski or snowshoe, there's not much to do there at that time of year.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Sunriver for Thanksgiving

To expand on Misteltoe's questions...

Is there any reason you don't want to fly directly to Central Oregon, since it appears you are coming from out of state? There is commercial airline service available to Redmond (RDM) which is about 45min to an hour from Sunriver.

Straight shot, easy drive... but if there's snow and ice just take it easy and enjoy our winter wonderland. ;-)

Philomath
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Sunriver for Thanksgiving

chains are easy to put on.... after you have practiced several times and if the chains stay on the wheels is another question. All depends on your experience. Chains installation practice helps for a not so frost-bitten experience. Heavy duty gloves are a good thing to have when installing chains in the snow zones. Check the roads at http://tripcheck.com/Pages/CamerasEntry.asp to see what the conditions are. Sunriver would be a very nice place to enjoy Thanksgiving.

4. Re: Driving to Sunriver for Thanksgiving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2010, 05:20