We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apt Locator Services?

Fort Worth, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Apt Locator Services?

Hello again. Thanks all for your response about the best neighborhoods, but I'm still having a hard time finding something doing my remote searching. Are there any reputable apartment locator services or realators I can contact?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,165 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apt Locator Services?

Hi

You are looking for an apt to rent?

Realtors in Portland do not deal with Apartment rentals.

Rent dot com is one of the online sites we used to get ideas, then Craigslist. You really have to learn your neighborhoods then come here to do it in person.

We were here last Sept for 10 days then househunted for 10 days in July..once you are here, it is easier but very difficult long distance.

As away, we should be able to help more!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,641 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apt Locator Services?

oregone, help on this one???

Perpetually...
Level Contributor
88 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apt Locator Services?

Having moved to Portland a little over 3 years ago, we were in the same predicament and did a lot of research and found that there are several rental agencies in town.

The biggest ones include:

(all the following names just need a www. in front and a .com at the end. Apparently, we are not allowed to give actual web addresses on this forum, or your post will just disappear....)

mainlander

rpmpdx

rmspdx

portlandrentalservice (this is a pet friendly agencies where all the listings allow pets)

gearin

adiproperties

All of these agencies have listings online with photos so this should make your search a little bit easier.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,165 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apt Locator Services?

Boy, KeaGirl, I could have used that info when we were looking!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apt Locator Services?

Hey, i'm an apartment manager in the Hawthorne/Belmont area, so here are some tips:

First off, and probably most important, beware of any place that offers steep discounts or rent specials (you know, like "1st month free" deals). There's probably a reason they have to offer you the moon to move in.

The best place to find an apartment is craigslist. 85% of my tenants come from CL. And most property managers have no problem sending you pics, floorplans, applications, etc through email. I absolutely HATE it when someone finds me through rent dot com because it ends up costing me almost $300.

I'd also stay away from oregonlive because those ads are sometimes out of date by over a year.

The safest way to look for a place is by going directly to a property management firm's website. princetonproperty and apmportland are two of the biggest ones. you can also do a search for capital property management or income property management.

when you've found a possible place, you can check out sites like portlandmaps for crime stats and such. Also, while you're there, click on the permits/cases link to make sure the property hasn't been dinged for livability issues. You can also look up your choice on aptratings to read a bunch of horror stories from disgruntled residents. These reviews are rarely unbiased, but they CAN be kinda funny.

Hope that helps.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apt Locator Services?

I found your original post, and you basically said that you wanted:

-more sq ft for the money

-close to nightlife

-don't care about old or new

Based on those criteria, I'd suggest the Monteclair Apartments at 3228 SE Morrison. They have a 723 sq ft 1-bedroom available for $585. That's only 81 cents per square foot. For comparison, my 1920s places are more like $1.20/sq ft. It was built in the 1970s, so it probably has carpet, aluminum windows, baseboard heaters, off-street parking, and other things i totally loathe.

It's exactly one block from se belmont, where you can find some great bars and restaurants, and also Zupan's.

The manager's name is jan and her number is 2386889. By the way, the monteclair isn't managed by the company i work for, so i'm not trying to give a biased suggestion.