We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beginning to Plan Summer 2010 trip

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,224 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Beginning to Plan Summer 2010 trip

I have been reading and studying the forums and other websites. Here' s my tentative plan. Our time is flexible between June 27 and August 15 or so (I'm a teacher). Looking for lodging with a suite as we have a 15 year old with us. Free breakfast always welcome!! Let me know how this plan looks. I've been to Oregon coast eon's ago but dh and son have not. DH is a foodie, I'm not and the teen is diabetic.

Day 1 Friday - arrive mid day. To downtown Portland hotel. Looking at Hotel Monaco, Embassy Suites, Courtyard, Nines. Visit the immediate area and head to dinner. We want seafood...any suggestions? We live in the desert so anything will be better than what we have here. lol!

Day 2 Sat - Visit the downtown area and OMSI. Maybe Old Town Pizza, tour of the tunnels etc. Any other recommendations for Italian for dinner?

Day 3 Sun - Gardens...Rose, Japanese, Forest Park. Brewpub type food for dinner.

Day 4 Mon - Rent car and if the weather is ok, head to Mt St Helens and then to Astoria for the night. Ever since the movie Kindergarten Cop I have wanted to visit here, loL!

Day 5 Tue - Coast visit. Not sure yet on where we want to stay. Cannon Beach or elsewhere. Oswald West SP and Tillamook Tour for sure.

Day 6 Wed - More coast. To Newport and the Aquarium, the only thing the teen wants to do.

Day 7 Thu - Wine country. Umpqua, Rogue, Willamette Valley. Have not done much planning yet. Need lodging that will be teen friendly.

Day 8 Fri - Wine country again. A visit to Corvallis, Eugene or Salem to check those towns out.

Day 9 Sat - To Columbia River Gorge. Spend the night at hotel near Portland airport.

Day 10 sun - Depart.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beginning to Plan Summer 2010 trip

Hi, CA, and welcome to my neck of the woods. We leave for AZ next week.

Your teen might like Seaside; it's a teen and college honky tonk hangout. just a few miles north of Cannon Beach, so he might appreciate a couple of hours there.

You'll get plenty of great advice on this forum, but my two cents is, go beyond Newport to Yachats and, shortly after, Cape Perpetua. Should you decide on lodging in Yachats, Fireside and Overleaf Motels, sisters, next to each other, are quite nice, and consider ocean front, not just view, rooms. Really a beautiful location.

Have a great time in beautiful OR.

Newport, OR

http://discovernewport.com/

www.aquarium.org

Yachats/Cape Perpetua

fs.fed.us/r6/…

Yachats, OR (La Di Da)

http://www.el.com/to/yachats/

http://www.yachats.org/events.html

I'm sure you have checked this website...

Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/

Edited: 09 March 2010, 03:10
New York, NY
Level Contributor
112 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beginning to Plan Summer 2010 trip

CasaAzul,

I've enjoyed your postings in the Sedona forum for awhile now so will see what suggestions I can come up with for you as we are headed to Portland on Wednesday (staying at the Nines).

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beginning to Plan Summer 2010 trip

You'd probably be happy with any of those Portland hotels. All are well-located, with reasonably good access to MAX and/or the streetcar. But, if you wouldn't mind taking a risk on Pacific Northwest funky, have a look at Inn at Northrup Station. It's on the streetcar line, on the fringe of one of the city's popular shopping and dining districts. Dinner that first night would kind of depend on where you end up, but you couldn't go wrong with Southpark Seafood Grill. Oddly, it's one of few restaurants in town that thinks of itself as specializing in seafood. But, you'll find seafood on most menus here.

Lots of good Italian places around. I'd suggest choosing between Fratelli, Caffe Mingo, or Piazza Italia. On day 3, just go to whichever brewpub is on the corner when you get hungry. ;-) I kinda like the food at Rogue Ales. Even your foodie would appreciate a pairing of Chipotle Ale with beer batter with chile flakes fish & chips.

Day 4 is a long one, but doable. If you miss Rogue Ales on day 3, you'll get another chance in Astoria.

I think Cannon Beach is one of the best beach towns anywhere. But it's wildly popular, with both locals and visitors. So, most places have 2-night minimum stay requirements through the high season. Since it's only 25 miles from Astoria, consider staying there for both nights 4 and 5.

Has your teen ever been on a dune buggy ride? Better than any amusement park ride anywhere, in my opinion. Dunes are just south of Florence.

Days 7 and 8 need more work. The heart of Willamette Valley wine country is only an hour southwest of Portland. Umpqua Valley is several hours further south and Rogue Valleys a couple beyond that. So, I'd suggest day 7 in the Umpqua Valley, then head north to the Willamette Valley for day 8. Or, you could easily fill both days in the Willamette Valley. Choice could depend on what kind of wines you like. Willamette Valley focus is pinot noir. Umpqua and Rogue Valleys focus more on warmer climate varietals.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,224 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beginning to Plan Summer 2010 trip

Thanks for the input. My foodie DH loves Pinot Noir, so looks like we need to spend more time in Willamette Valley.

I looked at the Inn at Northrup Station, just too modern for me. I'm a more traditional gal!

So here's some more restaurants I need input on.... pizza: Rocco's, Hot Lips or Pizzicatao. Sandwiches: Best Baguette, Superdog, Meat Cheese Bread, Otto's.

Any great steakhouses around???

New York, NY
Level Contributor
112 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beginning to Plan Summer 2010 trip

I forgot to mention last night but if you are arriving on a Friday check out the promotion that the Nines is doing (I think it's called "linger longer"). Basically if you arrive on a Thursday - Saturday and pay full price the second night is 50% off. This didn't work out for my upcoming trip but it does for another trip I have planned at the end of the summer.

If you go to their website the code is "ZBT". BTW - I have no affiliation with the Nines other than just really liking the property.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beginning to Plan Summer 2010 trip

CA, Welcome to the Oregon Forum. You will get some great suggestions from the folks here. We'll be heading to AZ in November for our annual Nascar trek.

I'll second mistletoe's suggestion to continue on down the coast as far as Florence to take your teen on a Dune Buggy ride The Oregon Dunes are somewhat like the Imperial Dunes in Southern AZ/CA, but the weather is much cooler, and you have the Pacific Ocean for a backdrop. From Florence you can head to Eugene on Hwy 126 and back north on I-5 to the heart of the Willamette Valley wine country.

You might want to consider spending a night at the Overleaf Lodge in Yachats. Not much for great food in Yachats, but the view from the rooms at the Overleaf is spectacular!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,959 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beginning to Plan Summer 2010 trip

Hi CasaAzul, how about lighthouses? Newport has a "classic" one:

nwcoast.com/lighthouses/…yaquinahead.asp

Even though Astoria is not on the ocean, it's kind of an interesting town. Have any interest in Lewis and Clark? There is a very good interpretive center about 20 minutes from Astoria in SW Washington, Cape Disappointment.

Curious why Corvallis, Eugene and/or Salem?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beginning to Plan Summer 2010 trip

Yeah, Northrup Station is a little too retro-funky for some.

Pizza... been to Hot Lips; it's okay. Have never been disappointed with anything at Pizzicato. Haven't been to Rocco's (or even heard of it until now). The place that's gotten press as the best in town over the last few years is Apizza Scholls. Hard to get into the place because of its popularity, though.

Don't know much about sandwich shops. Of those I've been to, my favorite is probably Kenny & Zuke's. One that's getting a lot of buzz is Bunk, which I've heard is where a lot of the better chefs in town go.

The Ringside has been an institution in Portland's dining scene for decades. There are probably better steaks in town - Morton's, Ruth's Chris, El Gaucho - but it's hard to be the atmosphere. That said, I heard recently that Ringside is temporarily moving, while the original restaurant goes through a major remodel.

If you take Kitter's suggestion and turn inland from the coast at Florence, start your wine-tasting at King Estates, outside of Eugene. Then head on hwy 99W, which pretty much goes through the heart of Willamette Valley wine country. More choices than you can deal with along that route. Maybe spend the night(s) in McMinnville, where your son might find something to entertain him. The Aviation & Space Museum is one possibility. Does a place like Hotel Oregon appeal to you: www.mcmenamins.com/441-hotel-oregon-home ? If nothing else, the McMenamin brothers make some great beer!

Edited to ask; is there any place better for the money in Santa Fe than El Farolito? We love it, but are looking for something different this year.

Edited: 10 March 2010, 16:37
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beginning to Plan Summer 2010 trip

Should have edited more carefully.....

Bunk is where a lot of chefs are going for a meal out. The Ringside's atmosphere is hard to beat. And you'd want to head north on 99W from Eugene.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,224 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beginning to Plan Summer 2010 trip

Thanks for even more info. Food prices are very reasonable and Happy Hour food is even better priced. Do most places allow teens in for Happy Hour if not seated at the bar? Some of the deals will fill us up for cheap! I did post another post about Type 1 diabetes and dining. Our son was just recently diagnosed and we have to deal with carbs etc. Any ideas on places that have lower carb meals?

Looking for best burger, best Vietnamese or Thai ??? Also a place for early dinner in Columbia River Gorge.

Since we live in the desert my son has never seen a lighthouse, so sounds like fun. Astoria has always intrigued me and it would be fun to be on the river watching ships. Also visiting Lewis and Clark sites as well as Ft Stevens, Ft Clatsop. We are into hikes, beachcombing (which beach for agates, sea shells, tide pools??).

Looking at Corvallis and Eugene for university options for the kid and Salem as we are now working on visiting all 50 state capitals! Not sure if we will get to all 3 cities. Also we are in the process of looking for retirement options!

Right now I've got 3 nights in Portland, 1 night in Astoria, 2 nights in Cannon Beach, 1 night Corvallis, 1 night McMinnville and one last night at the Portland airport. I'm sure way too much driving, but we want to get a good overview.