We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on Itinerary for Sept 2010

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need advice on Itinerary for Sept 2010

My husband and I are organizing our September trip to the Portland/Seattle area, and I was hoping for some advice on our itinerary. We recognize it may be a little ambitious at times, but we aren't able to extend the vacation and want to maximize our visit. I have included the Oregon portion of the itinerary here and would welcome any feedback/suggestions. We have not booked hotels or anything yet, but we want to get started on that soon... just need to make sure that if our itinerary needs tweaking that we do it now.

Day 1 - flight arrives in Portland at 10:30pm

Day 2 - tour Portland, incl. Saturday Market (yes it will be Saturday), Rose/Japanese gardens, other...

Day 3 - day trip to Mt. Hood/Columbia River Gorge area, spend the night in Portland

Day 4 - drive stretch of Oregon coast from Lincoln City south to Yachats, stopping at variety of points incl. Otter Crest Loop, Seal Rock State Park, Yaquina Bay Bridge, Bayfront area, spend the night in Yachats

Day 5 - spend the morning in Yachats area, then drive south to Florence and end up in Bandon by 4-5pm, spend the night in Bandon

Day 6 - early morning start, more views of Bandon then around 10am, start drive toward Willamette Valley - could use some suggestions here on route, best destination city for wineries, and distance/timing on the drive. Hopefully, do some winery visits/tasting between 1pm-5pm (was looking at Erath, Sokol Blosser, King Estate, Argyle as possibilities depending on where we are in wine country), spend the night somewhere in Willamette Valley - again suggestions welcome.

Day 7 - early start, drive to WA (Mt. Rainier is first point in WA.)

I look forward to any comments you may have about the itinerary! Trip Advisor is always my go-to site when planning a vacation.

Stacey

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on Itinerary for Sept 2010

Your intinerary looks very good to me. Recommend the Overleaf Lodge in Yachats. Great views from every room!

From Bandon, head east toward Roseburg on Hwy 42. There are several nice wineries in the Umpqua Valley around Roseburg. www.visitroseburg.com.

If you have never been to Mt. St. Helens (our resident volcano), it really is a must see. Depending on how far north in the Willamette Valley wine county you plan to stay the night, you could easily include the drive to Johnston Ridge on your way to Mt. Rainier.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on Itinerary for Sept 2010

Thanks for the feedback. We actually went ahead and booked The Fireside in Yachats, the sister property to Overleaf, because we are splurging on hotels elsewhere.

I appreciate the tip on the wineries, I will check out that area.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on Itinerary for Sept 2010

I agree - it looks as if you have done a lot of research, Stacey. A note on Otter Crest Loop, you get on it on the north side of Cape Foulweather, right at the bottom. It is one-way southbound for much of it. Some sections are the original 1920's road; you'll know which they are ;-)

I'd probably backtrack from Bandon to Reedsport and take Hwy 38 eastbound, since I think it's a much prettier drive. There are a couple of wineries in Elkton.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on Itinerary for Sept 2010

Yes, there are some nice wineries near Roseburg, but heading that direction takes you further away from the Willamette Valley wine country. If it makes a difference wineries in southern Oregon focus more on warmer climate varietals like syrah, merlot, and cabernets.

The Willamette Valley is mostly about pinot noir. To get there from Bandon, I'd take half-Brit's suggestion - hwy 38 from Reedsport to I-5 and north. King Estate is a little west of Eugene, and would be close to 3 hours from Bandon. From King Estate, get on 99W, which routes you through the heart of Willamette Valley wine country, and lots of good choices. I'd suggest spending the night in McMinnville, which would mean you'd probably miss Erath, Sokol Blosser, and Argyle. But then, I think you would be just as happy without stops at places like Witness Tree, Cristom, Bethel Heights, and/or Amity. And next time I'm in that area, I'm planning to stop at Seufert.

If it's of interest, put the Portland Farmers Market on the agenda for Saturday morning in Portland. One of the best in the country.

There's a debate raging (well.... sorta) on another thread about Overleaf Lodge vs. The Fireside. My $.02 is that, if I only had room in the budget for one "splurge" on the Oregon coast, it would be at Overleaf.

Looks like a great trip!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on Itinerary for Sept 2010

Ooops!! That should be, "...you'd be just as happy WITH stops at places like Witness Tree...."

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on Itinerary for Sept 2010

On way from portland to coast at Lincoln City you will pass some of our best wine country. around McMinnville. woder why you are waiting for return to Portland to see wine country.

Portland, OR, USA
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on Itinerary for Sept 2010

My thoughts:

"Day 2 - tour Portland, incl. Saturday Market (yes it will be Saturday), Rose/Japanese gardens."

Maybe add Pittock Mansion, Powell's Books if you like books, and lunch on 23rd Street

"Day 3 - day trip to Mt. Hood/Columbia River Gorge area, spend the night in Portland"

This is an unbelievably huge area to cover, and it can't be done in one day, let alone a month. I would be more specific about where you want to go. I would suggest visiting the Gorge rather than Mt. Hood. If you are hikers, I would check out some of the waterfall trails. Also Eagle Creek (all-day hike if you wanted), Oneonta (half-hour water canyon hike), etc. Check out "Curious Gorge" for more neat hikes. You can also check out Bonneville Dam, cross the Bridge of the Gods, and hike up Beacon Rock. Honestly, if it were me I would spend less time driving the coast and spend more time in this area.

I can't offer too much advice about your coast route because I am less familiar with the territory. Sounds like a lot of driving, though, which may mean you will have less time to stop and smell the Roses, so to speak.

There are lots of beautiful rivers in Oregon, you may want to spend a day at one.

8. Re: Need advice on Itinerary for Sept 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 05:17