We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and shop with teenage girls

weewoods
6 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay and shop with teenage girls

I am traveling to Portland with my teenage girls and am looking for suggestions for hotel, good restaurants and where to shop! Thanks in advance

Level Contributor
36,329 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and shop with teenage girls

We have enjoyed nice stays in Portland at The Riverplace, Heathman and The Benson. Take them to Pioneer Place in downtown Portland, the Nob Hill area of Portland also has some fun boutiques. Portland City Grill would e a great place for a meal, the views are beautiful from the dining room. Fenouil in the Pearl District, Park Kitchen and Bluehour are other nice places for meals while in Portland. Enjoy your travels! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and shop with teenage girls

Pioneer Place is fine, but if your girls have ever been to a mall, they've already seen most of what you'll find there. My wife and I ended up taking our teenage daughter shopping this past Sunday afternoon. Her choices: Lizard Lounge (in the Pearl District), Urban Outfitters on NW 23rd ("Nob Hill" to some), and several of the shops along Mississippi Ave. I put the kibosh on the Hawthorne Blvd. request.

The restaurants syrahgirl is recommending are all generally "good", however they're more appropriate to a special occasion or a date night for you and your SO than an outing with your daughters. My daughter's choice on Sunday was Paragon; she loves the grilled cheese sandwich and rosemary french fries there. Others that work pretty well for her are Typhoon, Pastini Pastaria, Piazza Italia, any Pizzicato, Caffe Mingo, Cafe Castagna, Kenny & Zuke's..... Not fine dining for sure, but reasonably good to very good food in teenager-friendly type atmospheres.

Any downtown core hotel (would have a SW street address) will work, but those syrahgirl is recommending are more on the stodgy side. Your girls would probably get a kick out of a stay at The Nines. Other good choices would be the Residence Inn at Riverplace or the retro-funky Inn at Northrup Station. Neither is in the downtown core, but both are on the streetcar line, which gives you easy access to the city center and beyond.

That all said, I'm assuming you'll have a car? ;-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay and shop with teenage girls

If you have a car, there is also Bridgeport Village south of Portland a few miles, and a very large outlet mall at Woodburn, about 25 miles south on I-5.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay and shop with teenage girls

someone posted a similar question about a month ago...try reviewing the forum for those replies.

I dont get downtown much, but the" Pearl" district gets lots of press for its boutique shopping, and the Lloyd center has a gazillion stores and an ice rink!

weewoods
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay and shop with teenage girls

Thank you! I had already made reservations at The Nines!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay and shop with teenage girls

Mistletoe--LOL, I took DD over to Hawthorne today. It definitely is a different vibe than her usual. Course we went from there to Nordstrom:)

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay and shop with teenage girls

Oohhh. . your going to Love the Nines. ..i was just about to post a comment giving that suggestion and then read all the posts seeing that you've booked there.

It's wonderful, might want to see if you can get the Club Floor if not already. Free drinks for those over 21 but also wonderful fancy little dishes at dinner & breakfast and a nice assortment of breakfast served.

Also the lounge is open from something like 7 or 8am to 11 pm. They have Jones soda and other favorites and are very accomodating at letting you take a bottle of your choice ( beer or soda). . they have great wines and cocktails as well.

I'm a bit excited writing about it because I'll be checking in myself next Friday (birthday celebration) and bringing some friends for the first time. This will be my 3rd stay and they keep getting better!

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay and shop with teenage girls

I LOVE Portland. Especially for awesome tax free shopping and eating.

Where to shop: Washington Square, Bridgeport Village, Portland Saturday Market (also open on Sundays), Portland Farmer's Market, and Woodburn Company Stores(a huge outlet mall).

There are many places to shop that are in walking distance from your hotel like Macy's (in the same building as the Nines!), Banana Republic, Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, Nike, Saks, etc.

Where to eat: Southpark Seafood Grill, Flying Elephant Deli, The Original Dinerant, Voodoo Doughnut, and The Heathman Restaurant. All of these places are in walking distance from The Nines and they all have menus on their websites.

Hope you and your girls have a memorable time together!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay and shop with teenage girls

un papillon--Saks is closing. Mens store first, and the main by sometime in July.

10. Re: Where to stay and shop with teenage girls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2010, 05:17