We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brookings and US 20 route

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Brookings and US 20 route

We went to Brookings last week for a 50th anniv. My wife got some sort of portable gps thing.recently

The night before we left I decided to check mileage going down I-5 to Grants Pass then 199 to coast. It was about the same as going to the coast at Reedsport, so we did that. About Salem wife check gps and it said Grants Pass route, but it was 20 miles further than i thought, so i figured i made mistake. But when we left I-5 and hit 199 20 miles dropped off gps info. don't think i will ever really trust those things

While there we decided to stop in Newport on way home so we drove up coast, bad choice. It was a very rainy day. We did not stop in Newport.

We waited to get gas til we got to Florence and once again it was the cheapest gast on that part of coast we drove.

Took US20 inland. We wanted to stop in Dallas via Kings Valley. We had a long delay on US20 for construction. We met a long string of traffic just beyond Toledo. and then no traffic. when we got to construction area there were several cars ahead of us. After maybe 15 mins we went, there was no string from other direction. So I think total wait may have been close to 30 mins, though not sure of that. They were falling trees right next to road. So it may not be good way to/from coast for awhile.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brookings and US 20 route

Lucky I clicked on that. I'm heading to Newport in 2 weeks. Looks like it's Hwy 18 for me.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brookings and US 20 route

Thanks for the report Phirl. Tripcheck (www.tripcheck.com) shows two major construction zones lasting thru June (a bridge rebuild) and September. I wish our GPS would sync up with that info, but till then I live and die by that site whenever we hit the road.

Interesting that Florence has the best gas prices. Is it due to high demand from all the dune buggy drivers?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brookings and US 20 route

Florence has always had the lowest gas prices - sometimes they are as much as 20 cents a gallon cheaper than Newport! I've never known why . . .

Yes, I had mentioned Hwy 20 on a couple of posts on other threads. They are building a brand new highway to replace 13 miles of narrow, winding road (*finally*). But due to some unforeseen problems earlier on, the project is taking about 18 months longer than anticipated. Final completion is late 2011.

From now until probably early October there will be long and short delays, just as there were last summer. Plus all the usual heavy traffic and trucks. Much of the new construction does not affect the existing highway, fortunately.

From north, I'd suggest Hwy 18; or Hwys 22/18 from Salem. From south, Hwy 34 (but not for RVs) , or Hwy 126 to Florence.

Edited: 31 March 2010, 02:57
4. Re: Brookings and US 20 route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2010, 07:17