We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
137 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Current weather and what to pack?

Arriving 4/17 for 6 days and want to pack as light as possible. Any suggestions on wardrobe would be appreciated. Will be spending two days mid week at Cannon Beach, and the rest in Portland with one day to visit the Gorge. Will be visiting mostly casual places.

We live a couple hours north of NYC so it isn't exactly warm here yet. We have had a couple of really warm days but today was 64ish and sunny which I consider nice.

Thanks, Christine

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

Well, your weather has beat ours of late! Its unseasonable cool here now and they are predicting rain again beginning Monday. As is usual- layers would be recommended.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

Not sure what your evening activities are but for daytime - comfortable shoes and socks, jeans are fine, I'm still wearing layers of a tee shirt under a sweater or shirt and taking a coat along for when the wind picks up. A hat might be helpful at the coast if wind and rain happen.

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
137 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

Okay I am packing for layers. Are shorts a complete waste of time? I already have mine out here. About the rain, all day down pour? Showers off and on? That is hard to plan for because of course I would like to think there won't be that much! LOL

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

I would only pack one pair of shorts. Needing more than that would mean our weather was even wierder than it has been;) Rain is usually and off and on thing, usually not downpours this time of year. But then again, I wouldn't bet on it either.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

I am from the south, so to me shorts weather is in the 80's or so; perhaps I'm not the best one to answer that :D!

It wouldn't hurt to toss in a pair of shorts just in case- this time of year we get variable weather and you just never know...last week it was near 70 in Eugene one day and dumping hail the next!

I think its pretty safe to say no 'heavy' stuff, but I would bring a good windbreaker for the coast especially, a cozy sweater or sweatshirt and some warm socks to ward off the biting cold that sometimes presents on windy days at the coast. If the windbreaker doesn't have a hood, then a hat would not be out of order.

A pair of dockers or similar would be the dressiest thing you need for dining out- and that may be too much. Its a pretty casual bunch out here so think comfort first.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

Forecast for this weekend is "nice" - sunshine and mid-60's - but it's 50/50 as to whether that's accurate, and beyond that is anybody's guess. It's most important that you bring something that sheds water. Maybe throw in a pair of shorts, but I doubt you'll wear them. Most of us locals are too embarrassed to wear them this time of year. The glare from legs deprived of sun for six+ months is blinding..... ;-)

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
137 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

Thank you all this really helps! Looking forward to our trip regardless of weather. Thanks again. Christine

Level Contributor
36,329 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

We woke up to rain here in Seaside early this am, it has now stopped, I would check the weather channel before your visit, I always pack a few pairs of shorts when at the coast, along with jeans, some sweatshirts and a light jacket. Getting ready to go walk on the beach right now, I hope you have a great time here! :).

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

"I always pack a few pairs of shorts when at the coast...."

But, you usually only visit during the summer, syrahgirl. And, you drive up from your California home, so you can load as much into your vehicle as you want. Robinshoods is wanting to "pack as light as possible".

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

"The Weather Channel" barely knows where Oregon is . . . and that only when we have hurricane-force winds!

___

edit:

This will be more useful to you as far as a weather report-

www.koinlocal6.com/weather/default.aspx

Edited: 12 April 2010, 22:52