We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northwest Visit

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St Louis
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Northwest Visit

We are planning a trip to the Northwest flying into Portland. Within the 10 days we have there I am planning on 3 nights in Olympic NP. Is this too long.? We will actaiily be coming from Ucluelet BC on Vancouver Island where we will be staying 2 nights. We will come across the 3:30PM Post Angeles ferry and plan on stayng 2 nights at Lake Crescent Lodge and one night at Lake Quinault Lodge. As we drive from Crescent to Quinault we are palnning on stopping at Ruby Beach since it should be on our route. Again, is this too much time within the park itself? We also are planning one night in Vancouver and another night by Mount Rainier. The other 3 nights we are planning on staying in Portland to whitewater raft and vist Mt Hood and the Columbia River Gorge.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Northwest Visit

Three days/nights in Portland is time enough for the activities you've listed, but you're missing Oregon's main tourism draw, its coastline. So, you might try to fit in a day/night or two, if that's of interest. It's hard to answer your question without knowing what you're planning to do in ONP. But, I think I'm reasonably safe in saying that a day or two on the Oregon coast will leave you wanting more.

St Louis
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northwest Visit

Yea I am planning on going to Cannon Beach and maybe Seaside on my way back from Olympic National park to Portland. Not sure if I want to go really south though. I was hoping to get to Gold Beach but I don't think I have enough days. There is so much to see.

Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northwest Visit

if you are down at ONP, another 3 hrs will get you to Crater Lake NP. but only accesible starting july - you didn't say when you are traveling.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northwest Visit

This is the moment when it will help us if you would post your itinerary so we understand your route, locations and proposed time at each. From time of arrival/location to same for departure.

Your trip is a bit complex...

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,610 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northwest Visit

>>if you are down at ONP, another 3 hrs will get you to Crater Lake NP. but only accesible starting july - you didn't say when you are traveling<<

???

ONP to Crater Lake in 3 hours? By air SEA to Medford, maybe; not by car. ONP to Portland will take more than 3 hours! Also, Crater Lake is accessible most of the year via the south entrance; it's the full rim and north entrance that are closed in winter, but even they will open by sometime in June.

St Louis
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northwest Visit

We will be doing this vacation in August. My wife, my 3 teenage daughters and myself. We are actually will be driving to Denver from St Louis since airfare is alot cheaper flying out to Portland from Denver as compared to St Louis. We stay in a cabin in the Rockies for 3 nights, Once we begin our Northwest portion of the trip we will have 10 days and nights.

Day 1 Arrive in Portland in the morning. Still undecided what we will do that day

Day 2 Undecided

Day 3 Vancouver

Day 4 Ucluelet BC Terrace Beach Resort

Day 5 Ucluelet BC Terrace Beach Resort

Day 6 Olympic National Park - Lake Crescent Lodge

Day 7 Olympic National Park - Lake Crecsent Lodge

Day 8 Olympic National Park - Lake Quinault Lodge

Day 9 Undecided

Day 10 Undecided but would like to lodge in Portland since we leave the next day

Things I would like to do during the undecided days would be whitewater rafting and maybe horseback riding on the beach.. We also would like to visit rhe Columbia River Gorge, Mt. Hood and MT Rainier. We love nature and wildlife along with adventure.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northwest Visit

My suggestions:

Day 1: Plan to stay in Portland. If the weather is clear, do a day trip to Mt. St. Helens (a must see IMO), If it's cloudy or overcast make a day trip in the Columbia River Gorge.

Day 2 - Drive to Mt. Rainier, then stay somewhere around Olympia/Tacoma. It's a 5 hour drive from Seattle to Vancouver BC (3-4 hrs from Portland straight thru to Seattle, depending on construction and traffic.)

Day 9 - Drive on south from on 101 to Astoria and down the Oregon Coast thru Seaside, Cannon Beach, perhaps as far south as Manzanita before backtracking (20 miles) to Hwy 26. Drive to Portland on 26 about 90 mintues to 2 hrs.

OR - if you did not get to Mt. St. Helens on day 1, from Lake Quinault go south on 101 to Aberdeen, then west on Hwy 12 to I-5, make the side trip up to Mt. St. Helens and continue on to Portland.

Day 10 - Make a day trip to Cannon Beach, etc or see the sights in Portland.

If you are flying in from Denver, you must be taking that 'other kind of animal' Frontier Airlines. :-). We like flying with them, but not in the winter because everything goes thru Denver and winter weather there is really unpredictable.

Edited: 24 April 2010, 21:53
Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northwest Visit

oregonpoppa - you are right, my apologies, i was mixing up locations. thanks for pointing it out.

9. Re: Northwest Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2010, 05:18