We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire recommendation?

Scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire recommendation?

I'm planning to hire a car for four days in Portland and head down the coast... can anyone recommend a hire car company and also whether it's best to get one at the airport or downtown... re ease of getting there to pick it up, as I'll probably rely on public transport to get to it. Or I guess I could just get a taxi!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire recommendation?

It's less expensive if you pick up the car downtown, where Hertz, Avis, and Enterprise all have offices. And Portland's light-rail system, MAX, will get you to or from downtown and PDX for less than $3.00. Of course, if you pick up the car downtown, you'll also have to drop it off downtown. A taxi from PDX to downtown would cost $35 +/-.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire recommendation?

mistletoe's reply is just what I'd have written (had I seen this post before him!)...with the exception that I HAVE had some experience with renting a car downtown and returning it at PDX. If you choose to rent from a downtown location ask if you can return it at the airport; I *think* most will for no extra charge.

Scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire recommendation?

Thanks for the feedback... it's a long time since I have driven on the right hand side of a road, so an easy location will help this Brit adapt! Downtown should be fine to collect and drop off, as I'm not getting or returning it on the day I fly in / out of Portland.

Last time I hired a car in the USA (14 years ago) I picked it up at 4pm on a Friday afternoon from Seattle airport, i.e. straight into rush hour on a five land motorway! Aaggh... I'd prefer not to do that again...

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire recommendation?

You can easily take the MAX to downtown and pick up the car. The MAX train leaves from outside of baggage claim and you purchase the ticket for $2.30 from the ticket machine inside just before you exit to get to the train.

If you are staying in a hotel in Portland, I recommend having Enterprise come pick you up and they will bring you to their office to fill out the paperwork.

Unless you are renting from a rent-a-wreck place, most of the car companies are comparable in price and car quality.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,040 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire recommendation?

Yes, At least on the west coast, most rentacar places will come pick you up at no charge

min

6. Re: Car hire recommendation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2010, 05:37