We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need quick logistics answers how far from here to there

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
794 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Need quick logistics answers how far from here to there

My husband is going to Portland on business, and I am wondering if I should tag along. How far is the coast from Portland, Mt. Hood? What are the best area's to explore from Portland as a base? We love natural beauty. I have always wanted to travel to the Pacific Northwest, just not sure this is the time to do it. I would be exploring on my own during the day, and he can join me early evenings to explore as well. Any quick advise?

Mentioned in this post
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need quick logistics answers how far from here to there

The shortest route from Portland to the coast is about 90 minutes +/-. It takes a little less time (15 - 20 minutes) to get to Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood. The other "must see" on most visitor's list is a 10-mile section of the Columbia River Gorge, starting from about 25 minutes east of the city. With daylight hours until 9:00pm or later during the summer, any/all of these might be possible after work hours (I'm imagining sunset at Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach).

For you during the day, we've got the International Rose Test Gardens, Classical Chinese and Japanese Gardens, Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden, Pittock Mansion, a decent art museum, interesting shopping, great restaurants.....

Edited: 18 May 2010, 19:45
Mentioned in this post
Timberline Lodge
Timberline Lodge
1,121 Reviews
Timberline Lodge, OR
Haystack Rock
Haystack Rock
2,590 Reviews
Cannon Beach, OR
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden
Crystal Springs...
373 Reviews
Portland, OR
Pittock Mansion
Pittock Mansion
2,099 Reviews
Portland, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need quick logistics answers how far from here to there

LMGTFY

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=portland,+oregon&daddr=27500+E+Timberline+Road,+Timberline+Lodge,+OR+97028+(Timberline+Lodge)&geocode=&gl=us&hl=&mra=ls&sll=45.363243,-121.758728&sspn=0.278853,0.725784&ie=UTF8&ll=45.401343,-122.189941&spn=0.58143,1.451569&z=10

Mentioned in this post
Timberline Lodge
Timberline Lodge
1,121 Reviews
Timberline Lodge, OR
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need quick logistics answers how far from here to there

If you will have a car, you can easily do day trips to the beach, Mt Hood and The Gorge while your husband works.

There is also plenty to do during the day right in and around Portland! When is this trip?

Mentioned in this post
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
794 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need quick logistics answers how far from here to there

Thanks for the quick responses, I had to make a quick decision on whether to join him or not, and thanks to you all I am. The trip is this Sunday through Thurs. We will get in Sunday at 1:00 I would love to head straight to the coast from the airport, as he does not have to work until Monday morning. Any particular route to take, or places to see in that amount of time?

Yes we will have a car, and I am so excited now! Oregon has ALWAYS been on my bucket list. A return trip one day will have to include Crater Lake National Park, but for now, I am thrilled to be going at all....and to see the coast and Mt. Hood and the Colombia River Gorge!!! I am totally psyched!

I am not into museums, etc, more into the beauty of nature, and hiking and scenery..........

Please any more suggestions, toss them at me!

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Crater Lake National Park
Crater Lake National Park
2,488 Reviews
Crater Lake National Park, OR
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,010 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need quick logistics answers how far from here to there

Columbia River Gorge

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/

http://www.spectacularoregon.com/

At the north end of Cannon Beach, Ecola State Park, beautiful, and somewhat representative of the OR coast.

Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/

Before you drive to Mt. St. Helens, you might check weather there; if heavily overcast, might not be worth it. Also, there are web cams at the top.

Mentioned in this post
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Ecola State Park
Ecola State Park
1,545 Reviews
Cannon Beach, OR
6. Re: Need quick logistics answers how far from here to there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2010, 07:16