We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Love your city

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Love your city

Hello..Our children have all relocated to the West Coast (Tacoma, WA and Sebastopol, CA) so it looks like we will be,too..Next year, when we retire.

We visited Portland last Sept.and loved it. I know the employment sitch, it's the same all over!!

How about "nothing fancy"part time jobs? Waitress...shop clerk..retail...walmart greeter..bank teller...Stuff for retirees that have some savings but need a little something to supplement their retirement income..

I will only be 57 and hubby will be 63..Feels like 30 was just yesterday..LOL

We are driving (sigh..men!) this Sept. from Upstate NY to Sebastopol then onto Tacoma. WITH the dog(Don't ask). We want to do some looking in Portland (and Bend ..and Medford..and Grants Pass..!!??). Just wondering about crappy jobs, instead fo good ones..:)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Love your city

We love it, too! Although it has been a bit wet for my liking, even though I am normally fairly rain tolerant!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Love your city

Sorry. Somehow hit submit without meaning to.

You should be able to find a job in the fields you described but most likely part time. There are a lot of volunteer opportunities as well.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Love your city

Good to know..Thanks...I will delete this now, so as not to offend anyone with my untravel related questions,,

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Love your city

OK..Can't delete..Please disregard, then..Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Love your city

I won't say anything if you don't.....

Pay particular attention to the Bend area. Great climate, which made it a popular area for foreign investors (read Californians buying vacation and retirement homes). And when the markets crashed a couple years ago, so did their sources of financing, and consequently, housing prices. Friends of mine say their house is worth no more today than it was 10 years ago. Also, because it's such a popular vacation destination area, lots of service-type jobs.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Love your city

Mistletoe, I sent dee a pm explaining that a particular poster might get nasty and post something snarky about her post and then tattle to the moderators to get it removed. ;-)

I didn't want her to get frightened from our friendly forum by one a bad apple, if you know what I mean.

Mistletoe is correct. Bend is a GREAT place to live and housing costs are way down.