We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoke Free

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Smoke Free

I just heard that the Pacific Coast Restaurant Company is going smoke free, even in the bars of the restaurants. For anyone that is not familiar, PCR include Henry's, Manzana Grill, Portland City Grill, etc.

Also, The Westin company is also going smoke free as of January 1st.

Washington passed their no smoking bill and that takes effect on Thursday. No smoking within 25 feet of doors too, so that will be nice for walking past businesses.

I just wanted to share this in case anyone was interested.

Maine
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoke Free

Bummer -- no more cigars after dinner :(

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoke Free

Okay... got a different picture now. Never imagined you as a cigar smoker, ptraveler. ;-)

Wondering how WA will enforce its new law, Mtngrl... if people can't smoke within 25 feet of a business's front door, they'll have to pass by in the middle of the street. Sounds more like something Oregon or California might pass, lol!

Maine
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoke Free

Lol Mistletoe -- now you know what to look for in and around town :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoke Free

Ok, I too cannot picture PT with a cigar! LOL!

Mistletoe--WA's new law actually includes 25 ft from windows and vents as well as doors. So basically anyone who wants to smoke will have to go somewhere else besides out on the sidewalk. I do not understand it, but smoke here in the states really bothers me (physically), but when we are in Europe it does not seem so bad. I don't get that at all, but hey, if I can go places and not feel ill then I'm all for it!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoke Free

This is quite the hot topic this week! You can check out discussions and posts about it at furious nads!, portland's future awesome, welcome blog portland, and (my personal favorite) seportland apocalypse cow. Those are all google terms, by the way.

A Portland smoking ban is inevitable in the not-so-distant future, so i say smoke 'em while ya got 'em.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,854 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoke Free

Does this mean that the "Fat Stinky man" as he is fondly referred to , that sits outside Bluehour with the most gagging smelling cigars, has to stay home with them???

I cannot tell you how many times that has ruined a perfectly nice afternoon sitting outside and enjoyed the "fresh" air ~

I would prefer cigarettes! or a pipe! But no more stinky cigars? YAY!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoke Free

Scarlett, I HATE that guy. Had to sit near him and his date at Le Bouchon once.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,854 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoke Free

oregone, seriously?? the same person? LOL..I was afraid he was one of the owners for a while there, he is there every single day, when it is warm, usually with other cigar smokers..even the dog started to sneeze :O)

Maine
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoke Free

So that there's no confusion here -- I am not the "Fat Stinky Man" LOl.

Scarlett -- how have you been?? Any good eating recommendations this week?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,854 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoke Free

Hello PT, we have been fine. Busy with holiday shopping and mailing to far off places!

This week we had dinner at the Heathman and it was terrible lol. I am no longer recommending them.

Lunch at Miso Happy is always good (and warming)..

Lunch at Pho Van, wonderful and warming too! lol..

you notice warm is important to me now.

Dinner tonight, Henrys :)