We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long do I stay...???

gatorRN
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
How long do I stay...???

Hey all,

My husband and I are traveling to Oregon for our first wedding anniversary/a friends wedding. We are going to fly to PDX on September 2nd and will be busy with wedding festivities until Sept. 5th. The wedding is in Portland so I think I have that covered.

On September 6th we would like to travel around a little. We are interested in the coast and wineries and microbreweries and possible mt hood....if I can fit it in.

How many days do I need? What you would you suggest for an itinerary? Any suggestions of amazing things you have seen or can't miss wineries would be great.

Also.......on my bucket list, is to to stomp grapes! I know most wineries do not do that anymore but if anyone knows of one or could point me in the direction...I will do more research.

Thank you so much!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long do I stay...???

willamettevalleyvineyards.com/whatsnew/#even…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long do I stay...???

There are a lot of wineries in the area - but I will leave that to others since they are not my thing. You will need one FULL day for Mt Hood/Gorge and another for the coast at a minimum. Here are my suggestions:

Mt Hood/Gorge -

Start the morning by heading east on Hwy 26 to the mountain. It's a beautiful drive. Make sure you stop in at Timberline Lodge. It is classic WPA building. Good place to have lunch. Leaving Timberline, continue east to Hwy 35 down to Hood River. Start to return west to Portland on I-84.

Get off at Exit 35 to take the old scenic highway. Many waterfalls are found along this drive. Most are next to the road or a few yards from the parking lot. Multnomah Falls is the most popular and a great place for a break - having restaurant & snack bar.

Be sure to stay on the old highway up to the top where Vista House is located. The view is amazing - but the best view is just a bit further at the Women's Forum Scenic View. You can find all sorts of variations on this day trip known as the Mt Hood Loop, but this is the one I do when I have out of town guests.

Coast -

For the coast I have a day trip, again a full day, that I take visitors on: Heading out Highway 26 from Portland to Seaside, turning north to Astoria. Astoria has so much to do, but we limit ourselves to the Astoria Column and Fort Clatsop. Clatsop is a favorite of mine. It is a reconstruction of the winter quarters of Lewis & Clark. During the summer they have reenactments so you can really picture what life would have been like.

We leave there and drive back south on Hwy 101. We wander and stop at whatever interests us - small shops, lighthouses, etc. Depending on the crowds we may stop in Seaside to walk along the beach-side promenade and wander the shops. Just north of Tillamook is the cheese factory. Here you can see how the cheese is made or buy some in the gift shop. But what most of my visitors want is the ice cream on freshly made waffle cones.

Before returning to Portland on Hwy 6 (which joins up with Hwy 26) be sure to stop in at Cape Meares outside of Tillamook. While the lighthouse lens was damaged by vandalism, the park is open and is a great place to whale watch.

Both of these are very full days starting out about 8am and returning after dark. There is not enough time to take advantage of all the activities along the way: hiking, mountain biking, skiing. It also does not allow enough time to see all there is to see...but it give a basic overview of both regions with room to stop at things of particular interest to you.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long do I stay...???

For Microbrews - Portland has it covered. Check out /www.portlandbeer.org for locations, events and beers available.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How long do I stay...???

The heart of Oregon's wine country is less than an hour southwest of Portland, so also easily doable as a day-trip from the city. But, besides being one that allows you to stomp grapes, I'm not sure what you' mean by "can't miss" winery. Beautiful vineyard setting, view, quality of wine (and red or white?), bottle price...... or... ??? As for stomping grapes, I have friends who did that at a harvest party once, several years ago, but don't know of any wineries that regularly host such an event for the public. And the first week(s) of September is too early for grape harvest. Good luck!

As an alternative to Setati's coastal day trip itinerary, consider heading directly to Cannon Beach, buying a kite in Once Upon a Breeze, some picnic fixings and supplies at Mariner Market, a bottle of wine at Wine Shack, then planting yourselves on the beach for an afternoon. At some time during the day, take the short drive up to Ecola State Park, just north of town. Cannon Beach is only 90 minutes +/- from Portland, so also an easy day trip.

Having said that everything on your list is doable as a day-trip from Portland, were you thinking about spending nights outside the city?

gatorRN
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long do I stay...???

Yes I was thinking about spending nights away from the city. I was planning on leaving Portland and then not arriving back there until I fly out. My question was if I could do a drive where should I go and how long should I stay in each place?

I am from Florida so our beaches are nothing like the picture sof the coast I have seen!

I am looking for a winery that has a memorable tour and is really friendly. Some of my family member had a great experience in California and I would love to same the same for Oregon.

Thanks for all the help!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How long do I stay...???

The best route would depend some on how much time you have, but here's at least something for you to shoot holes at....

Leave Portland early heading east to the Columbia River Gorge (which I think you'd enjoy more than Mt. Hood). Sightsee along the Historic Columbia River Highway to exit 35, before reversing directions back towards Portland on I-84. Continue through/around Portland, planning to arrive in wine country in the early-mid afternoon, allowing enough time to taste at a couple wineries. Have dinner and spend the night in wine country.

If at that point you have only one more night, plan for it to be in Cannon Beach, on the north coast. If you've got two nights, choose between Cannon Beach and Yachats, on the central coast. With three or four more nights, split time between the central and northern coasts before returning to Portland.

Once you've decided on an itinerary, we can help fill in the blanks - i.e. wineries, hotels, brewpubs, restaurants, sightseeing, etc.

Edited: 22 June 2010, 17:39
gatorRN
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long do I stay...???

Thank you so much!!

I am thinking about spending about 4 nights outside of Portland. I just want to make sure there is enough for us to do but not make our days packed!

8. Re: How long do I stay...???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2010, 08:23