We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Monaco vs River Place in Portland ?

Menlo Park...
10 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Monaco vs River Place in Portland ?

My husband and I ( in our mid 50's) will be traveling to Portland from San Francisco area for a long weekend ( in late July) without the kids. We were going to splurge and stay at either RiverPlace hotel or Hotel Monaco based on TA ratings. We'll be there for the Oregon Brewers festival which sounds fun, since we love tasting unusual and small brewery based beers. We would like to use public transportation throughout our stay and not bother to rent a car. We love exploring cities, good restaurants, museums, shopping, renting bikes, easy kayaking. RiverPlace has a hotel/airfare deal on expedia, but a recent poster noted the "area is kind of funky" . Will we be comfortable walking to restaurants, etc at night? How about river view vs central location? Access to public transit considerations? Finally, will the RIverplace location be a plus or a minus during the Brewers Festival? Thanks for your thoughts!

Edited: 25 June 2010, 16:53
Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Buffalo Exchange
Gift & Speciality Shops
Ed's House of Gems
Gift & Speciality Shops
Stark's Vacuums Museum
Gift & Speciality Shops, Speciality Museums
Hello! Good Morning!
Gift & Speciality Shops
Level Contributor
37,541 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Monaco vs River Place in Portland ?

Hello and welcome! The waterfront area is a very pretty area of Portland, we have stayed at The Riverplace several times, it is a very nice hotel with pretty water views. You can ride your bikes along the waterfront, also. Harborside is a nice seafood restaurant you can walk to from this hotel.

Enjoy your time in Portland! :)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Monaco vs River Place in Portland ?

Riverplace will be perfect for the beer festival as the festival is north of there. There is a trolley that will take you to the more central area of Portland but if the weather is nice, you can walk just about any where!

It is perfectly safe, just a tiny bit away from the center of downtown.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,637 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Monaco vs River Place in Portland ?

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor. I too would suggest the Riverplace. It's a nice location, quite pretty and if you're going to splurge, go for the view ;-)

Portland does have a lot of homeless people, in all areas of downtown.

Menlo Park...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Monaco vs River Place in Portland ?

Many thanks, all! I'll take your collective advice and see if River Place is still available!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Monaco vs River Place in Portland ?

Just to play devil's advocate...... ;-)

The "funky" description likely refers to accessibility, which isn't great, or the fact that there's not much retail commercial business in the immediate surrounding area. As PDXWindJammer said, the area around Riverplace is perfectly safe. Even so, I doubt you'll be walking to restaurants from there, especially if you want to explore the Pearl District and NW 21st & 23rd Streets, two of the city's popular dining and shopping areas. In fact, of the things on your list, Hotel Monaco is I think better located for everything except renting bicycles, and maybe kayaking (if you can even find a place along the riverfront to rent a kayak).

So, if you're weighting the decision on location, Hotel Monaco is the better pick. And it's usually rated in the top three of Portland hotels to boot.

That said, I expect you'll be happy, whatever you decide. (so why did I waste my time? ;-) )

Menlo Park...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Monaco vs River Place in Portland ?

Mistletoe,

Thanks for your devil's advocate point of view! I appreciate the info about proximity to restaurants, etc. Maybe we will base the choice on whatever deal we can get, since as you point out, both are good hotels. Is the Hotel Monaco on a really noisy or busy street? How about the restaurants in both hotels -- Three Degrees or Red Star Tavern. Worth factoring in those to the equation or likely we will want to eat elsewhere anyway?

Gotta run it all by hubby for his thoughts. But thank you! Nice to feel we have good options!

Edited: 26 June 2010, 02:02
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Monaco vs River Place in Portland ?

Hotel Monaco is in the busier downtown core, but it's not as if Portland is NYC-noisy. Maybe others can comment, because I've not stayed there, but I expect window systems are designed to minimize noise.

As for the restaurants, haven't been to Three Degrees, though I suspect that, like Red Star Tavern, it's fine. But neither is really representative of Portland's dynamic restaurant scene, so unless it's just for convenience, I'd suggest you eat elsewhere.

One other thought that might weigh into your decision: parking. It ain't cheap! Or, will you have a car?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Monaco vs River Place in Portland ?

Ahhh.... I just read that you won't have a car. In my mind, that weighs in favor of Hotel Monaco.

Menlo Park...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Monaco vs River Place in Portland ?

Thx, Misteltoe. You are swaying me in favor of the Moncao for location. Just discovered another option (??) the Hotel Modera on SW Clark between 5th & 6th -- the styling of the interiors kind of reminds me of Hotel Monaco based on the pics, but less expensive. Worth pursuing this hotel in this location?? Ahhh, I am making myself crazy with this!

Edited: 26 June 2010, 18:57
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Modera
Hotel Modera
2,021 Reviews
Portland, OR
Menlo Park...
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Monaco vs River Place in Portland ?

OK, reservations made for Hotel Monaco. Tough choice, but more central location won out. Thanks for everyone's feedback, and I'll let you know what we thought of our trip when we return!