We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hip shopping and other things

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hip shopping and other things

Hi-

I'm looking for some hip shopping areas-not touristy in Portland. Any suggestions??? I would also love info on any hip restaurants/nightlife.

Level Contributor
34,748 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hip shopping and other things

Hi! We like the shops and boutiques around the NW 23rd St. area, Nob Hill. Wildwood is very good for a meal in this area. You may want to check out clarklewis or Gotham Building Tavern for nice meals with innovative menu selections. Happy Holidays! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hip shopping and other things

Currently, the hip yet non-touristy area to shop/eat/drink is on East Burnside between 6th and 28th. Six months ago it was North Mississippi between Russel and Fremont, two years ago it was NE Alberta between 7th and 22nd, and five years ago it was SE Hawthorne between 33rd and 38th.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,877 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hip shopping and other things

oregone! we had lunch at balvo today. The new place on NW 23rd..did you by any chance get to have their pre opening dinner there last night?

It was good, some kinks need to be ironed out but the menu looks great, the space is nice.

The chef needs to lighten up with the salt though, he threw sea salt on mussels???

ajetj..

Right now it is hard to think of where in POrtland is non-touristy, everywhere in town is attractive to tourists for shopping and just wandering.

We were on NW 23rd and it was mobbed but fun. Lots of fun shops and places to eat.

We live in the Pearl, great shopping, from art to jewelry to linens and clothes.

If you look at Portland dot com slash Pearl, you can find some names of shops that might appeal to you.

Same goes for restaurants and nightlife, the Pearl is good for that, as is the East side which I don't know , but oregone does :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hip shopping and other things

I agree about just wandering and seeing what you come upon.

Oregone--LOL, what a perfect description of how the area has evolved!

As far as where to eat, that depends on what you like. I had lunch with a friend at Pho Van yesterday. Soup is perfect on these cold days.

Henry's is one of my favorite places and the bar area is always very busy. They have over 100 beers on tap and a great martini menu.

While I would not bother with dinner, the Portland City Grill has great views and is good for drinks.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hip shopping and other things

Not sure what you are looking for in hip. Alt Country, Bohemian, Urban, etc. More info would let us help you more.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hip shopping and other things

Hey Scarlett, I bet we all know where Balvo buys their sea salt :) Sorry I missed it; I was busy recovering from a weekend at cannery pier in astoria.

And yeah, I guess it all depends on what your definition of "hip" is. It tends to change relatively quickly around here. Why, it seems like just yesterday that Doug Fir was hip.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,877 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hip shopping and other things

Hey, oregone! :O) Have you recovered ?

How was the Cannery Pier ? How was Astoria?

I always thought that by the time a place is called hip, it isn't :)

Hipness is sneaky, just when you think you are, someone else is, when you wish you were, you are LOL

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hip shopping and other things

I just wrote something up on my stupid blog about CPH, and the best conclusion I could come up with was that I'm just not old enough to fit in there. In other words, it was a very hip place. "Hip," in this case, meaning great for 55-year-old women who drive Nissan Muranos, enjoy oaky California Chardonnays, and own fake Prada shoes. Nice clawfoot tubs, though. I'd tell everyone to stay there at least once, because it really is a neat place. Stay away from the karaoke bar down the street though, unless you're asking for a bar fight.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,877 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hip shopping and other things

Faaaabulous review Oregone!!

I can picture it all :D

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hip shopping and other things

Hi everyone thanks for all the posts, for the record I'm not 55 and I don't wear fake Prada shoes. I live in an artsy area in Chicago called Wicker Park and I'm looking for something similar to that. Off the beaten path, cool, young and hip. Thanks for everyone's help!