We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kearney Plaza, Portland

Roseville, CA
1 post
Save Topic
Kearney Plaza, Portland

I'll be visiting Portland in early February. What is there to do in Kearney Plaza?

THank you.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kearney Plaza, Portland

Too funny, arlene! I've lived in the Portland area for almost 40 years, but still had to Google Kearney Plaza. I suspect you realize it's an apartment (or maybe condo, now) building in the Pearl District. One of the Google hits mentioned a Starbuck's, so I'm sure you can drink coffee in Kearney Plaza.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kearney Plaza, Portland

Kearney Plaza is apartments upstairs, retail downstairs mixed-use space. It's at 11th and Lovejoy and last time I knew it was just getting finished - there's a Starbucks on the ground floor, and there was supposed to be a VideoRama and Bella Moda Designs along with some other retail establishments, but I'm not sure if any of it actually went in yet or not.

It's in the upper end of the Pearl District - there is everything you could want (if you're a yuppie). Great (and expensive) restaurants, trendy (and expensive) shops, Martini bars, wine bars, coffee shops, etc. and it's right on the streetcar line, so you can just hop on and ride it to other locations around downtown Portland.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kearney Plaza, Portland

Watch out J&S, I live and shop in here, in the Pear :O).

arleneroseville, perhaps you might tell us why Kearny Plaza? The entire area has plenty to "do in" but your question is confusing :)

We were there today, dropping off our video at VideoRama. You can have a Fab dinner across the street at Sungari Pearl..you can have coffee at Starbucks and grab the streetcar on the corner of Johnson, across from Jameson Park where the tree and lights twinkle every night..this is the Pearl, lots of things to do in the whole area!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kearney Plaza, Portland

LOL, no, I don't live in a pear, I live in the PEARL lol...

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kearney Plaza, Portland

You're very lucky, Scarlett - don't misunderstand me - we would love to live there too. As self-proclaimed yuppies, it's our favorite area of Portland now to go to, though! We LOVE the pear - I mean the pearl :-)

I remember just a few years ago when you couldn't go there at night, crack deals on every corner, pitch black with a random homeless guy wandering the streets and nothing but abandoned (or not abandoned) warehouses everywhere with broken windows and graffiti.

I still shake my head in disbelief every time I drive or walk through the area - it is truly amazing what a transformation has taken place.

Now the area that amazes me most is NE Alberta - I can't even believe this is the same area that I remember. It looks like Soho now instead of the hood. Wow.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kearney Plaza, Portland

Best thing to do at that intersection is to sit outside the starbucks at the 5pm rush hour and watch people try to turn left onto 11th without getting T-boned by someone speeding west on Lovejoy. Very entertaining.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kearney Plaza, Portland

Thanks for the chuckle, oregone.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kearney Plaza, Portland

Kearney Plaza is a bulding in the Pearl District. In that area there are a couple of great parks, several fantastic restaurants, e.g., Giorgio's, Piazza Italia, lots of boutique shops, coffee places, wine and drink habitats, and easy streetcar access to other parts of Portland. It's a nice, friendly neighborhood. I live in The Pearl. Never been a yuppie. My neighbors don't look like yuppies either. Just pleasant folk. Please feel welcome!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kearney Plaza, Portland

Speaking of neighbors ( hi, mamababoo!) most of mine are young-art students and law students, one of the guys that owns Balvo & Bluehour etc...and a couple of professors and doctors. A great mix here :)

And dogs, lots of dogs :)

Our street is one way for a couple of blocks then becomes two way- It is fun/scary to watch the cars coming South on our street then either flying straight past the Do Not Enter signs on up the street, or coming to a screeching halt and sudden turn..

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,982 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kearney Plaza, Portland

LOL! I hear that is the same area that I seem to pick up people that throw themselves at my SUV:D