We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way Rental Car - No Drop Off Fee?

United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
One way Rental Car - No Drop Off Fee?

Does anyone know of a rental car agency at PDX that does not charge a one way drop off fee? Looks like this fee is about $200 and I only need the car for a couple of days to drive from Portland to Seattle. Any suggestions on how to avoid paying this fee?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,337 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One way Rental Car - No Drop Off Fee?

Sometimes Budget does not charge a drop fee, check with them. Or, would a train ride work for you? I see these nice buses all the time in the Willamette valley, not sure if they operate like Greyhound or not or if it's even an option... http://ocwbus.com

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One way Rental Car - No Drop Off Fee?

I had the same issue and chose to go Amtrak to Seattle. The "Coast Starlight" & "Cascades" trains are about $36pp and will allow you to enjoy the scenery (and a drink) with no drop-off hassles.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One way Rental Car - No Drop Off Fee?

We were going to fly into San Francisco and spend 4-5 days to get to Portland, drop the car after two or three days and fly home.

Thrifty charges a $500 drop charge and Alamo changes your daily rate from $30 to $90 a day.

Rental car companies are out of their minds.

We changed our trip and will fly into and out of Portland now. I might have paid $200 to keep our original trip plans.

The Enterprise close to but not on the airport charges $32 a day for a full size car. Pick it up at the airport and it's $80 a day. Same company, same car.

This type of ripoff is happening everywhere as taxes for arenas and other civic improvements get loaded onto the backs of business and vacation travelers.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,668 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One way Rental Car - No Drop Off Fee?

Take the train. There is great train service between Portland and Seattle and the cost is less than $40 per person.

5. Re: One way Rental Car - No Drop Off Fee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2011, 05:17