We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

multnomah falls

Hudson River...
Level Contributor
120 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
multnomah falls

we will driving from seattle to portland next friday. we are staying in the portland area and wish to visit multnomah falls. which of the 3 days...fri, sat, sunday would be the best to visit. am or pm? which would be the best route to take? thanks

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: multnomah falls

Try to avoid the weekend, that is when we go.

Take Historic Col Riv Hwy in AM, retunr on I-84 when you run out of time. a full day is very easy to spend

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: multnomah falls

The weekend will be more crowded than Friday - because it is summer, not sure how big a difference it will really be though. You should check the weather forecast to also see which day will be the best. Weather around here will change - so I'd check a day or two ahead to be sure. The hottest part of the day is about 4pm - so AM vs PM question is about what you prefer.

For the route - I' definitely take the old highway and check out all the other waterfalls along the way. I also love lakes and easy hikes so I would go early and then head up to Lost Lake (outside of Hood River) for the afternoon. They have a small store, cabins, and a campground. There is a trail around the lake that is pretty easy going. You also have a wonderful view or Mt Hood from here.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
73 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: multnomah falls

I agree with the previous postings about taking the Old Highway to the Falls. You start out in Troutdale and go up till the road is overlooking the Columbia Gorge , breathtaking. Along this windy road you go through forest and pass many other waterfalls before you get to Multnomah Falls . Which by then you are at the bottom of the Gorge. Very nice.

The only thing I would disagree on, is the day to go. I would actually get up early Sunday or Saturday and take the drive. Because your return back to the city on I-84 would be a traffic jam nightmare on a Friday afternoon. Not nearly as bad on the weekends. Plus if you get there before 11 , the crowds arent too bad.Plus the weather is a little more pleasant in the morning. Enjoy

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: multnomah falls

On a sunny week-end parking can be impossible at Multnomah Falls. There is very little or no place to sit and wait for place to open. but some do just mill around and wait. blocking road.

Then maybe i do not know because I quit gong on weekends. Fri afternoon rush depend on where you are staying and time you return to city. Worst traffic is out of city, but in at 5PM can be quite bad too.

Not so bad if you stay in Troutdale.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: multnomah falls

I agree with everyone else, take the Historic Highway and get an early start, regardless of what day you go. If you do go on Friday, traffic getting back in to town on I-84 shouldn't be too bad, depending on what time you leave. Though, it will probably stack up a bit near I-5, but I don't generally have a problem getting in to downtown during the evening rush hour.

Another thing to keep in mind when visiting Multnomah Falls and taking the Historic Highway, if the parking lot is full there, you can always park at Wahkeena Falls and walk there. There is a "flat" trail, 1/2 a mile long, that runs along the highway and connects both the falls. Besides, Wahkeena Falls in and of itself is also worth a stop.

Level Contributor
35,459 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: multnomah falls

I would go on a Fri. Multnomah Falls is beautiful, this is a very pretty area to photograph. We are going there in a couple of days, can't wait! :)

Hudson River...
Level Contributor
120 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: multnomah falls

I think Friday seems what we're planning now. A little concerned about the traffic ... we're heading towards Beaverton - Would we then take 84 across the city, merge onto I5 for a bit and then onto route 26 West? (per our map)

Probably leaving Multnomah in the 4-6pm slot. We're seasoned traffic people from NY/NJ so it may not seem so bad to us : )

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: multnomah falls

The traffic going to Beaverton at rush hour will be bad. I don't know how it compares to the east coast, but I would really try to avoid it at rush hour, especially on a Friday when many people are looking to escape the city and head toward the Oregon Coast, especially if the weather is hot.

Hudson River...
Level Contributor
120 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: multnomah falls

Traffic jams here get bad, really bad. It being vacation and all it's something we'd like to avoid to stay in our happy vacation mode....so thanks for the heads up. I do not want to exclude the falls based on traffic.

We're just going to have to wing it and see where we stand timewise after leaving Lake Washington area. We'll have a couple hour car ride to rearrange our game plan if necessary.

So looking forward to seeing your city starting next Friday.

PsB

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: multnomah falls

I missed you are coming from Seatte Fri. So you may have fri AM traffic in Seattle. we came back from Olympia area last Fri arrived at I5 bridge shortly before noon,

We did stop and crawl across the bridge and until the I-5 I-405 split. we took I-405 which was moving but I-5 still crawling. An hour to get to Tigard from bridge. We went up to Olympia area across I-5 bridge on weds shortly after noon not quite as bad but also much crawling. maybe 10 mins faster. still slow.

Pretty bad at noon to add almost 30 mins to trip