We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Recommendations

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Recommendations

Good morning Portlanders and friends... my folks are planning a trip up your way and are looking for a few dining recommendations. My dad (not as computer savvy) picked out a few restaurants that he read about in some travel magazines. I've read the reviews on a couple in the restaurants page, but wanted to get your thoughts and experiences on these (and perhaps alternative suggestions if you have them).

Paley's Place (1204 NW 21st Ave)

Broder (2508 SE Clinton St)

Sinju (1022 NE Johnson St)

I know Broder is a Swedish place. They are up for decent eats... does not need to be fancy... just good food. Any recommendations (particularly Asian) would be excellent.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Paley's Place
Paley's Place
426 Reviews
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
37,769 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

Paley's Place is very, very good. Another place we like, right across the street is Wildwood. Le Pigeon also has very good food. Have fun! :)

Mentioned in this post
Paley's Place
Paley's Place
426 Reviews
Portland, OR
Le Pigeon
Le Pigeon
479 Reviews
Portland, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

It would help to know if your folks will have a car or are willing to figure out bus routes and schedules. Because, while it's certainly a good choice, Broder isn't very conveniently located to the downtown core, where I'd expect your folks would stay. And if they're wanting Asian, they'd also want to visit Pok Pok, in that same neighborhood. Hole-in-the-wall kind of place, but very good, and very popular.

Sinju has a couple locations around town; I expect your dad's read about the one in the Pearl District. Japanese food; good sushi and sashimi; certainly fits into the category of "decent eats". ;-) For a more traditional Japanese restaurant, they should consider Murata. Seres is another very good Asian restaurant (Chinese), also located in the Pearl District. Then there are a couple Typhoon (casual, but good Thai) locations around the city.

Paley's Place IS very good, but it fits more into the "fancy" category. Are your folks celebrating an anniversary or something? It would work well for that. Wildwood is kind of in the same category, though not quite as fancy. Le Pigeon is a cutting edge kind of place; creative, innovative, interesting dishes. But common table seating in a small room. And it's another of those they'd want to drive, or take a bus to.

Mentioned in this post
Pok Pok Restaurant
Pok Pok Restaurant
1,365 Reviews
Portland, OR
Pearl District
Pearl District
982 Reviews
Portland, OR
Paley's Place
Paley's Place
426 Reviews
Portland, OR
Le Pigeon
Le Pigeon
479 Reviews
Portland, OR
Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

Thanks for the initial input... here's the scoop on my folks. They are relatively active and in their 60s. They will be staying at the Hotel Modera in downtown on Clay Street.

I have some familiarity with Portland (loved it, went 2 years ago) though my travel style was more no frills. My folks don't mind splurging occasionally, but they do not require white linens every night. With regards to locales... I'd say downtown, Pearl District, and the surrounding neighborhoods west of the Willamette should be the geographic scope. They have no issues riding the MAX, but I don't know if they'd be up for too much bus riding.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Modera
Hotel Modera
2,033 Reviews
Portland, OR
Pearl District
Pearl District
982 Reviews
Portland, OR
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

in that case they probably will want to stick to downtown or the pearl district, unless they want to take cabs. there's a stop for the streetcar to the pearl just a block or so away from the modera.

pok pok is great and very worthwhile if they are willing to take a cab. they should plan to go early as it's very popular and doesn't take reservations except for large parties.

a couple of my favorites in those areas, in no particular order, are southpark, the heathman particularly for happy hour, fenouil, andina. i also love bijou for breakfast.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

oh, and they should definitely try the food carts-there's a terrific thai one called nong's that serves an amazing chicken and rice dish. located on alder between 10th and 11th, open for lunch only, closed sundays.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

"I'd say downtown, Pearl District, and the surrounding neighborhoods west of the Willamette..."

Okay, so that leaves out Broder and Le Pigeon, but as nwwanderer suggested, they still might want to catch a cab to Pok Pok. It's a unique dining experience.

Murata is within walking distance of Hotel Modera. So is Higgins, one of Portland's first, but still very popular, farm-to-table restaurants. It's white linens, but not at all pretentious.

Mentioned in this post
Pearl District
Pearl District
982 Reviews
Portland, OR
Le Pigeon
Le Pigeon
479 Reviews
Portland, OR
Pok Pok Restaurant
Pok Pok Restaurant
1,365 Reviews
Portland, OR
Hotel Modera
Hotel Modera
2,033 Reviews
Portland, OR
Higgins Restaurant and Bar
Higgins Restaurant and...
741 Reviews
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
37,769 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

Also in downtown Portland is Portland City Grill, beautiful views from this restaurant. I love their sushi here! :)

Mentioned in this post
Portland City Grill
Portland City Grill
2,048 Reviews
Portland, OR
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

If they like Sushi, I would recommend Hiroshi. It's in The Pearl on 10th, half a block south of Lovejoy. Giorgio's is also one of my favorites, in The Pearl, between 11th and 12th on NW Hoyt. 50 Plates, also in The Pearl has great lunches, as does Piazza Italia. Paley's is wonderful dining experience, as is Wildwood, which is across the street on NW 21st. All are easily accesible by walking or streetcar.

Mentioned in this post
Piazza Italia
Piazza Italia
377 Reviews
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
37,769 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

I agree with 50 Plates being very good for lunch, I have a review posted of our time there not long ago. Very pretty dining room and great food and service. :)

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

A hat-tip to everyone who responded... thanks so much for your suggestions!