We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it easy to venture out with public transport?

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it easy to venture out with public transport?

Hi,

Really wanting to have a holiday in Portland next year.I live in the UK and am a bit of a movie geek!! We want to stop in Portland as it seems to be pretty central to the other places we would like to visit.

We would like to visit Astoria to see the Goonies locations and Brownsville to see the Stand by me locations.Would also like to visit Salem too.Is it pretty easy to get to these places using public transport? We really want to do this around May next year for my birthday.

Any help,advise or info would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Dean

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,102 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it easy to venture out with public transport?

Yep, public transport is easy. But only in Portland Proper and around local areas of Portland. Like Hillsboro, Clackamas, and Troutdale. Rental cars are available, though, and you could see where that first vampire movie was filmed up on top of Larch Mountain outside of Troutdale.

min

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it easy to venture out with public transport?

Hi Dean,

While you are in Portland and the immediate vicinity - public transportation including bus, rail and trolley covers most areas in the city you would want to go to.

As for Astoria - our rail system called Amtrak operates a bus route between downtown Portland and Astoria that runs twice a day on the weekdays, at least. And once you get to Astoria, there is minimal public bus service that operates in that city. I have not mapped out the Goonies movie locations to see how close their buses operate to them, so it may involve a lot of walking to see them all. My personal opinion is if you are not opposed to hiring a car at least for the day and driving out there. It is a nice and easy drive out there. But if you are intested Amtrak's website is: www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer… and Astoria's transit system is at: …worldweb.com/Transportation/PublicTransit/

As for Salem, you are in the same situation. There is connecting public rail and bus lines from downtown Portland to Salem, which would involve a number of transfers...but it would depend on where in Salem you wanted to go to, whether public transportation would be a benefit to you or not. Again, personally - I would hire a car for that trip.

Brownsville is South of Salem, and I know of no connections on public transport that would take you there in a reasonable amount of time. So again, it would he a hired car.

But while you are in Portland, I encourage you to explore via the public transportation system. It is easy to get around most places and the fares are reasonable. We even have an aerial tram as part of our system! But it only goes up to the hospital and back :(

more questions? Please ask!

Thanks

Noah

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it easy to venture out with public transport?

Public transport outside Portland area is not simple. well even in Portland not all that great compared to London.

we have nothing compared to Europe in NW USA. I suggest you hire a car.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it easy to venture out with public transport?

Hi lostboy87 and welcome to the Oregon forum. Okay, I looked up your threads from your 2008 visit to Santa Cruz and read where you don't drive, so renting a car is out.

I also had to Google the movie Lost Boys just to see what it was about, LOL ;-)

Noah gave you a good start on public transportation outside of Portland.

Astoria has its own public bus system that covers the town plus surrounding areas... http://www.ridethebus.org/index.html

As far as Salem, I know there is a bus system called the HUT that goes from Portland airport to Salem and stops at the Red Lion hotel (Market Street near I-5) there. Salem does have its own bus system, which does have a stop right near to / right at that hotel! Here is their website:

www.cherriots.org/schedules_and_maps.htm

There are also a couple of other hotels near the Red Lion in Salem within easy walking distance - less than ½ mile.

Now, Brownsville is going to be more difficult. Here are some pics I found, by the way.. city-data.com/city/Brownsville-Oregon.html

My suggestion would be to contact either or both the city library and/or the Chamber of Commerce and ask about bus schedules. There may be one that goes through Corvallis, I don't know.

Here is a website with email addresses.... http://www.ci.brownsville.or.us/contact.html

It's a very small town, pleasant and attractive, but pretty sleepy and not very near any major cities....

As you might have gathered, there is limited transportation from point to point, but once in a sizable city, you'll be okay. It will take some research and study on your part, but I'm betting you'll be able to work out a schedule so you can see most of what you want :-)

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,415 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it easy to venture out with public transport?

The big attraction in Brownsville (other than its historic homes) is the great county museum. It's one of those places that's bigger on the inside than it looks like on the outside...and has wonderful wagon train memorabilia and other stuff even older than I am.

How you would get there without a car, however, is a mystery. And, like half-Brit, I did try to find an answer.

There's also nice hiking in the area, but getting to any of the trailheads would definitely require driving. You might do a google search of historical societies and community centers in the general region (Eugene, Albany, Corvallis, Salem) and see if any of them are doing day trips to Brownsville.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it easy to venture out with public transport?

In the city public transport is great. But you will need a car for reasonably time-efficient travel to the other places you mentioned.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it easy to venture out with public transport?

"Is it easy to venture out with public transport?"

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but with the itinerary you have in mind, no. I'm reminded of an off-the-beaten-path weekend my wife and I spent earlier this summer in Cathlamet, Washington, where scenes from Men of Honor and Snow Falling on Cedars were filmed. Since there's little else to do in Cathlamet, we visited those locations. Which took all of about 10 minutes. I'm afraid you'd find yourselves similarly disappointed in Brownsville.

So, if none of the "we" drive, I suggest you limit yourselves to larger cities/towns, in and between which you'll find reasonable public transit. Astoria I think fits into that. And from Astoria, you'd want to get to Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park, where several of the beautiful coastal scenes from Goonies were shot. Salem also fits. But, I have to ask..... why?

Astoria, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it easy to venture out with public transport?

Within Portland and suburbs, the public transportation (rail & bus) is good. But to get to the other towns & cities, it would be best to rent a car. Perhaps, consolidate your Portland site-seeing for a few days, then get a car and tour on your own. The countryside is beaurtiful in the Pacific NW and is easily seen by car. You may even want to take a drive north of Astoria to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State to see the location of the "Twilight" movies.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it easy to venture out with public transport?

From reading the OP's threads from their last year's visit to Santa Cruz, California . . .

They do not drive.

I had another thought, lostboy87. There is this tour company in Portland that has small group tours in a van. I realize it doesn't go to movie locations but would be a good way for you to see some more of the area:

www.americashubworldtours.com/oregon-tours

10. Re: Is it easy to venture out with public transport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2011, 05:23