We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Hood Railroad - Polar Express

Singapore
Level Contributor
197 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Hood Railroad - Polar Express

Anyone has any comment on this? Is it worth the $$$.

I am looking at the scheudle, it has 3 different timing 2.00, 4.30 and 7:00 pm. According to the story, the train takes off at night. However, I am wondering what can you see at night, do they set up a santa village at the destination? Will be it better off if i take the 2:00 train and can see the outside scenery or there is no nice nice scenery along the way?

Thanks in advance

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,300 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Hood Railroad - Polar Express

I have taken the train trip in summer, and I am sure it is beautiful now. You can check by clicking on http://www.mthoodrr.com. They stop in Parkdale, so dress very warm, but in layers.

I volunteer in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, and have only heard good about them. Some say to take a lunch and picnic in the summer, but I think food may be included here. We find a restaurant, and keep in mind, Parkdale is very small so don't expect gourmet.

The picture I have posted here, is of Mt. Hood from the train.

I would choose the mid day trip I think. But talk to them.

enjoy!

min

Mentioned in this post
Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area
Columbia River Gorge...
4,564 Reviews
Oregon
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,300 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Hood Railroad - Polar Express

If you want to see Mount Hood during the day, go at 2, but they light up the ski runs at night, I think, and it may be awesome then. So just call and ask.

min

Mentioned in this post
Mount Hood
Mount Hood
492 Reviews
Hood River, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Hood Railroad - Polar Express

"Parkdale is very small so don't expect gourmet."

By this she means maybe 100 people. There is one cafe, a store, post office and maybe a couple of B&Bs. If you have any special dietary needs, check with the train folks, but you will likely want to bring something with you

Singapore
Level Contributor
197 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Hood Railroad - Polar Express

Thanks for all your advice. I will definitely include Polar Express as part of our trip.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,300 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt Hood Railroad - Polar Express

There were three or four restaurants and a grocery that had a deli. We found food, good but not fancy, in Parkdale. It was kind of nice to wander around such a nice small town. The locals were very nice to chat with.

Food may be included in the train trip for the Polar Bear Express, so be sure to ask what is included and even what restaurants are available in Parkdale. I think this is their annual money making season I believe, so they may have something special.

min

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,300 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt Hood Railroad - Polar Express

Please excuse me, I will make that call for you. I just realized you are in Singapore. That was an oversight on my part.

min

Singapore
Level Contributor
197 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mt Hood Railroad - Polar Express

Hi mrsomindy ...

I will appreciate that...

Thanks in advance.

Philomath
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mt Hood Railroad - Polar Express

At $26 for an adult ticket, I would take a night trip and a day trip. Both should be equally beautiful especially if you can take the night trip during a full moon and after it has snowed. It does say Santa will be on board.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,300 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mt Hood Railroad - Polar Express

*****PLEASE NOTE***************

The Polar Express is not what I thought. You might not get the views we thought you would get.

I finally got through to them. I would like to clarify what I have said.

I didn't know that they had stops other than Odell and Parkdale. And if you are going to Odell, it's only $5 more or so to go all the way to Parkdale.

**************"******************The Polar Express is really meant for kids," they said. It is 1hour and 15 minutes round trip. No meal. They only go to Pine Grove. Not much of a train ride.***********************

They do have dinner and brunch rides during the time period you are here though. I would suggest those, as they are great.

I am so sorry for the confusion, I have been trying to reach them daily and they have not returned my calls. I guess they are busy this time of the year.

min

Bend, Oregon
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mt Hood Railroad - Polar Express

My family is visiting from Singapore and we will be doing the Christmas Tree Bunch Train. The traditional turkey dinner caught my attention. :) It is 4 hours long, so I am thinking there would be plenty of views.

Edited: 17 November 2010, 02:08