We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland during Thanksgiving week

madison
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Portland during Thanksgiving week

We will be in Portland during the entire week of Thanksgiving staying close to the Hawthorne area. There will be my husband, myself and 2- 2o something boys and a 19 year old boy. Does anyone have ideas for great day trips and/or things to do in Portland that week? We are very outdoorsy and fit so active things are great also!

Thanks!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland during Thanksgiving week

Hi there.

What kind of things is your family interested in doing? Would you be doing things as a group or splitting off by age?

If you like history type things - Pittock Mansion is all decked out for Christmas starting November 22nd. It is a beautiful display in a well restored, historic mansion. If the weather cooperates (although unlikely that time of year) there is a beautiful view from up there) More info at: http://pittockmansion.org/events/christmas/

Would the science museum - OMSI - be interesting at all? http://www.omsi.edu/ they have tons of permanent exhibits as well as a show on Identities running during that time.

There is the lighting of the big Christmas tree in Pioneer Courthouse Square, and the lighting of the trees along the streets downtown - that happens on the day after Thanksgiving - Friday Nov 26. The big tree, imho, was a much bigger deal before they went to LED lights on the tree :( But just called me old-fashioned.

If you like something a bit more active (well, a lot more active) hiking to the top of Multnomah Falls is fun, even in the winter if you are into that sort of thing. And the trip down the Columbia River Gorge is interesting all times of year.

So let us know what kinds of things you would be interested in and I'm sure others will come up with some good ideas for you.

-Noah

madison
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland during Thanksgiving week

Yes, the hike to the fall is great! What else is there to do in the Columbia River Gorge during this week? We also wondered about doing some wineries. Is this easy from Portland? How about a day trip to the ocean. I know it will be too cold to swim but is there good hiking?

Thanks!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland during Thanksgiving week

Multnomah Falls isn't the only falls in the Columbia River gorge. A few others also have short walks up to them. But if not paved or rocked, trails this time of year may be muddy and/or wet, so be prepared. The trip out the gorge Noah is referring to? fs.fed.us/r6/…Historic_highway.pdf .

The weekend after Thanksgiving is one of the two biggest of the year in Oregon's wine country, so your timing couldn't be better. Since many wineries also serve food that weekend - cheeses, meats, pates, etc. - be prepared for high tasting fees ($20-$25 is not unusual). The heart of wine country is 45 +/- minutes southwest of Portland, generally the area around Newberg, McMinnville, and Carlton.

A day trip to the coast would be easy too; only 90 minutes from Portland to either Seaside or Cannon Beach. I'd suggest heading to Cannon Beach and up to Ecola State Park. Do some hiking if the weather's decent. If it's lousy and you can't find enough to do in Cannon Beach, head south, sightseeing along the coast, and return to Portland on hwy 6 from Tillamook.

One other thing; plan on rain. Possibly lots of it. Bring layers, at least one of which sheds water.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland during Thanksgiving week

I agree with all. I am wondering, what part of the area are you staying in?

Weather permitting, it is the prettiest time of the year for the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. There are lots of things to do and see. It is 80 miles long on both sides of the Columbia River.

I would suggest stopping in at Multnomah Falls Visitor Information Center for what's available that time of year and open. Which roads are open and which attractions are available. The Lodge there, (restaurant only) will be light up for the holidays. Check for winter hours. You can get lots of brochures there at the visitor information center.

After a 100 years in service, the old steam train that goes up into Parkdale has beautiful scenery and is very enjoyable.. http://www.mthoodrr.com is a link to the site. You will see Mount Hood up close. November 27th they have a murder mystery Dinner train with a 4 course dinner. (note, during the winter, they operate on a different schedule, therefore I chose a train running during your stay. You can depart from Hood River in the Gorge.

You and your companions will enjoy the Gorge part of your trip.

min

Edited: 09 November 2010, 19:32
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland during Thanksgiving week

I 2nd the old highway and the waterfalls. Lots of trails you can take there. make sure you are dressed for the weather and be careful of slippery trail conditions.

If the 'kids' (using the term very loosely) get bored, you can try Bullwinkle's just south of town in Wilsonville. Nothing you can't see any where else, but they are great for teens - miniature golf, go karts, batting cages, ropes course, rock wall, laser, coaster, arcade..all with pizza & burgers.

If you like books - Powell's in downtown is incredible. It's also inside :)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland during Thanksgiving week

The 19 yr old will not be able to taste in wineries, of course, but I think he can accompany you.

You should definitely hit a brew pub or 3. He will be able to get into them as long as you sit in the restaurant area. That will allow the rest of you to sample some great beers!

You can also hike nearby in Forest Park, the largest forested urban park in the country and it is beautiful. Make sure to bring good hiking boots because it may be muddy and tennis shoes are too slippery in the mud.

Enjoy!

madison
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland during Thanksgiving week

Thanks for all of the great ideas and packing tips! I am sure we will use most of them on our trip!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland during Thanksgiving week

You could stop in at Marchesi winery in Hood River while in the Gorge. A couple of weeks ago, they had wine 1/2 barrels set side by side and you could take your turn stomping grapes.

The kids could go because they serve food too. They had a guitarist and a barbecue too. They have a heated patio.

Their Sangiovese wine was to die for. A 2010 1st place award winner, I loved it, and I don't usually like that kind of wine. I haven't done a review yet, maybe today if I get a chance. It was fun to be there.

We got some good pictures. Warm and and comfortable to be there, it's a gathering place for Hood River Locals.

9. Re: Portland during Thanksgiving week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2011, 05:17