We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pittock Mansion via Transit

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Pittock Mansion via Transit

Hoping to catch the Pittock Mansion during my December visit to Portland.

Just out of curiosity, what's the quickest transit route from downtown to the Pittock Mansion? Or am I better off taking a taxi from downtown?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pittock Mansion via Transit

Hi there.

Trimet bus line 20 - Burnside, will take you from downtown to NW Barnes Rd & NW Burnside. From there it is an uphill walk over several twisting roads (residential area) Trimet's map estimates a 16 minute walk.

That walk is all uphill, in a heavily treed area. And given the weather that time of year, you may be wet by the time you arrive at the mansion. It may be just me (who is not outdoorsy or hardy or in shape) but I really would recommend a taxi from downtown, rather than walking up that hill in December. I hope someone else will chime in with a recommendation, either way on that.

But if you are the hardy, hiking type - then go for it :)

They mansion gets decorated for the holidays, making it extra special that time of year...I do hope you get to see it, by taxi or otherwise.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pittock Mansion via Transit

Noah, you forgot that we may also have ice/snow...or even frost that will also make it a challenging walk. But you are very right that only the pretty athletic would consider the walk.

On a side note - you may be interested in some of the walking tours of Portland - lots of history and architecture....which are the main reasons people want to see Pittock.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pittock Mansion via Transit

Thanks for the feedback, and on that note, I'll be hailing a taxi for door-to-door service from the hotel to Pittock Mansion.

As for the walking tour of Portland, I remember taking one in July during my last visit. Definitely a highlight, and the guide was very enthusiastic about sharing her knowledge of the city. One interesting fact: there's a brick in Pioneer Courthouse Square adorned with Elvis Presley's name.

The downside in visiting during the off-season: there's no weekday walking tours of Portland offered by Portland Walking Tours!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pittock Mansion via Transit

I did not know that - they do in November, I had just been looking it up for someone. Learn something new everyday around this place.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pittock Mansion via Transit

They only have tours in December during the weekends; I wish I could do the culinary tour!

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pittock Mansion via Transit

Pittock Mansion has a free shuttle from one of the PSU parking garages from Sat Dec 18th until Christmas. It is on their website. Might be easier to get to the parking garage via Max and then take the shuttle. If you drive to the garage, first 3 hours of parking is also free.

And I put in another vote for the Portland Walking Tours. I have done the basic tour, the epicurean excursion and tomorrow we are doing the underground tour.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pittock Mansion via Transit

Where are the PSU parking garages? Are they anywhere near downtown Portland?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pittock Mansion via Transit

Smart move to cab it - otherwise you'll spend too much time getting there and back. Keep in mind that you must call a cab in Portland (not a place to hail one...) Broadway is my favorite. Give them 5 or10 minutes to show up.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pittock Mansion via Transit

pittockmansion.org/events/…

PSU’s parking garage #3 (entrance on SW 12th Avenue or SW 13th just south of SW Market). Leaves every hour on the hour from 11:00 to 3:00.

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
373 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pittock Mansion via Transit

We did the #20 bus and walked when we went. If I remember right, there was a lack of sidewalks.