We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, please - Need places to eat -

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Help, please - Need places to eat -

We are on a short notice business trip - did as much research as we could and are bombing out on the food issue.

We are staying down on the South Waterfront, Husband working downtown - but I don't care how far we have to go for a decent meal. There has to be somewhere around here that actually draws something other than the 'la te da' or the party crowd. We've been to the Old Spaghetti Factory twice already - McCormick's once.

Just looking for good food that I can pronounce, maybe some life in the place as far as casual atmosphere.

We have three days left here and it's ridiculous. I prefer it to not be downtown - parking is a disaster and I hobble with a cane.

East? Out to Beaverton? Tigard? Please help me figure something out. Only need dinners and at this point I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, please - Need places to eat -

There's a Newport Grill nearby that isn't going to win any innovation awards but you will have a good meal and see some people:

0425 SW Montgomery, Riverplace, OR 97201

Phone: 503.227.3474

The streetcar is a very viable way to get up into downtown without having to worry about parking.

I'm not sure what "la te da" means to you, but let me suggest the Veritable Quandry.

1220 Southwest 1st Avenue, Portland, OR

(503) 227-7342

or maybe the waterfront Marriott which has a couple restaurants.

If you head out into the suburbs you will have your choice of chain restaurants - just google your pleasure.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,160 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, please - Need places to eat -

try http://www.veritablequandary.com/

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, please - Need places to eat -

>> Just looking for good food that I can pronounce <<

LOL, love it ;-)

I'm not much into Portland restaurants (and most definitely not a "foodie") but this place has a parking lot and we thought very good food, German and American:

http://www.widmer.com/gasthaus.aspx

There are dozens of chains around Portland - serving reliably good, fairly priced food - is that what you're looking for? Claimjumpers has one in Clackamas Town Center and another one south near Bridgeport, exit 290 off I-5. Romano's Macaroni Grill is right next to both Claimjumpers.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, please - Need places to eat -

Lougee - I almost sent you a pm - - I know there are no Kihei cafe's around here - or are there? I'm not looking for Mama's Fish House either - .

I looked at Veritable Quandry - since I am in a predicament here the name was fitting - seems viable and streetcar drops there!

Jasone - Newport Grill on the waterfront is not accessible. Period. I did google them and found they have others in the area - a possibility to head to other location.

Apparently the Streetcar will drop me off at few locations and I am unable to walk very far. Again VQ possible.

half-brit - I'm no foodie either, thanks for the link, I took a look, sounds good to me! I know I saw them during our travels around the area and I rarely turn down a good Heffeweizen.

Trying to avoid chains altogether. We prefer to support local business wherever possible. Two nights to go and choices - THANKS!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, please - Need places to eat -

If country/Southern fare is your thing - Black Bear on Canyon Rd in Beaverton works. If you really are a southerner, the tea is weak and not sweet. It's a chain, but a small one in OR & CA.

I personally like most of the McMenamins - promise you can pronounce everything on the menu there.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, please - Need places to eat -

Would you consider a longer ride up the streetcar line? If you ride to the SW Stark/10th stop you can dine at Kenny & Zuke's (yeah, it's a deli..but a pretty darn terrific one, serving til 8pm). The walk is less than 1 block west of the stop. http://www.kennyandzukes.com/

Also along the streetcar line, ride to NW Couch/10th (the Powell's stop) and walk 1 block north & 1 block west to Deschutes Pub. Really good food and they often have an excellent hefeweizen on draft (called 'Miss Spelt'). deschutesbrewery.com/brewery/…default.aspx

I think both fit the bill for being livelier without being pretentious (although I have to warn you you Deschutes can get pretty crowded with the afterwork/dinner crowd AND they have a special release of a new beer on Friday). And both are local businesses...

Edited: 18 November 2010, 08:29
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help, please - Need places to eat -

<crowded with the afterwork/dinner crowd > exactly what I would like to keep to a minimum, but we eat early....

thanks all

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help, please - Need places to eat -

I am not sure what you mean by "we have 3 days left here and it;'s ridiculous"?

You are not into chain restaurants but are not a foodie. Hmmm...

For some great locally owned Portland restaurants that are not downtown and have fairly easy parking or a private parking lot:

The Farm Cafe

Noble Rot

Belly

Whiskey Soda Lounge

East Burn

Typhoon

There are plenty of parking garages downtown that are near restaurants. Is your husband not able to drop you off and then go park?

Southpark Grill downtown is fantastic and very close to a parking garage.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,160 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help, please - Need places to eat -

Setati

If country/Southern fare is your thing - Black Bear on Canyon Rd in Beaverton works. If you really are a southerner, the tea is weak and not sweet. It's a chain, but a small one in OR & CA.>>

you took the grits right out of my mouth -- i was going to suggest the black bear also

also in beaverton -- hall street grill for lunch or dinner and dicarlis for dinner only

Edited: 18 November 2010, 17:58
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help, please - Need places to eat -

The Pearl District has many great places to dine! 50 Plates, Andina, Fenouil, Park Kitchen, Bluehour all have wonderful food. If you like pizza, go to Escape From New York in the Nob Hill area. There is also Papa Haydn's in this area for really yummy desserts. Enjoy Portland! :)