We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take Out Food for the Amtrak Cascades

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Take Out Food for the Amtrak Cascades

Riding the Amtrak Cascades train back home to Canada from Portland next week, and I was wondering if there was a highly recommended restaurant (or even food cart) that I could grab a take out meal from for the long ride home.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take Out Food for the Amtrak Cascades

Hehe. A friend and I were just commiserating over the food options available onboard the Cascades. Pity, the have that lovely little bistro car but serve food worthy of a vending machine. :(

Well - Lord knows I have my favorite food carts, but none of them are close to Union Station. Plus most of the food I like from them is hot and needs to be eaten that way. (The Creperie on 12th/Hawthorne is the best and their banana/peanut butter/honey/cinnamon crepe is heavenly when still warm)

So as un-original as this is, personally I would stop off at the Whole Foods Market on 12th and NW Burnside and pick up enough nibbles for the entire trip North. Do they have Whole Foods Market up your way? It's not a 'normal' grocery store - their deli is the best in town, IMHO. You could pick up some gourmet cheeses, crackers, fruit - and head over to the deli for a freshly made sandwich on house-made bread, or sushi or any number of fresh salads and cold entrées. (or pick the hot entrées and make due. I guess their is a chance Amtrak personnel would heat something up in their microwave, but I am not sure)

Armed with your loot from foraging at Whole Foods, equip yourself with a split of wine available from the bistro car and be the envy of Amtrak :)

Whole Foods is about a block off the streetcar line. To return to Union Station, if you don't mind the walk - take the street car outbound to NW 10th and Marshall and it's about a 5 block walk to Union Station. This may or may not work for you depending on if you have your luggage with you or not. You could just take a cab and make it a lot easier on yourself, the distance isn't much.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,029 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take Out Food for the Amtrak Cascades

Whole Foods is a great suggestion. My DH often resorts to beer and pretzels from the dining car, lol!

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Take Out Food for the Amtrak Cascades

PDXNoah said it all! :-)

I'm not sure when your train leaves or how long the trip takes, but if it's overnight be sure to take some fruit and maybe a yogurt or croissant for breakfast. You are very smart to bring food along as the onboard meals are expensive and not very good!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Take Out Food for the Amtrak Cascades

I was thinking of swinging by Pearl Bakery, Kenny & Zukes, Voodoo Donuts or even one of the food carts near Tenth and Alder.

What items would keep for the eight hour trip?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,801 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Take Out Food for the Amtrak Cascades

There is a snack/gift shop in the station.... utilitarian pre-made sandwiches and chips. Since you're starting out in Portland stop by a nice deli or have your hotel pack you a boxed lunch.

6. Re: Take Out Food for the Amtrak Cascades

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2011, 06:16