We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edgewater Hotel-Mtngrl!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,005 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Edgewater Hotel-Mtngrl!

I cannot find your report on staying at the Edgewater Hotel in Washington. Can you/someone direct me or can you post here and tell me how you liked it?

Thanks!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edgewater Hotel-Mtngrl!

Scarlett--Nope, not me:D When we went back over Thanksgiving and were deciding where to stay, my husband (who was raised there and all his family is still there) said I could choose anywhere EXCEPT the Edgewater. It is a decent enough place...but there are so many other places that are at least as nice but with much better locations. So, that said...we stayed at the Alexis this last time. Fantastic place!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,005 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edgewater Hotel-Mtngrl!

Aha! that was the name. The Alexis!!

We are pondering a mid week getaway and we have both been wanting to visit Seattle.

I was thinking the Edgewater ( a dump?) after seeing the name somewhere..but now it all comes back to me.

Thank you, the Alexis is a Kimpton right? We have all sorts of points with the Kimptons so we can get breaks on our stays in any of their hotels, like the 5th Ave Suites :)

thank you!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edgewater Hotel-Mtngrl!

Yes, a Kimpton property:)

The Edgewater is not a dump...more of an inconvenience (nicer words than what my husband has for it, lol!)...but you would not be happy there. I know you well enough:)

The Alexis was wonderful. Our room was HUGE...and very well appointed. The lobby has an amazing Dale Chihuly piece that makes you speechless. The evening wine tasting and watercolors is fun...you and the Yankee would love it. The Libary is the name of the restaurant and we had wonderful breakfasts there. The bar is called The Bookstore, and they had an amazing selection of scotch...over 60! My husband was in heaven, lol! I stuck with normal cocktails and they were very good. The hotel is also very easy to walk to everything. WA has the new antismoking law in effect, so you will enjoy that. No smoking in public places, or within 25 feet of doors/windows. So you don't have to go through a cloud of smoke to enter a place:) Oh...and I know this is important to you...the Seattle Art Museum is only a block away.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Edgewater Hotel-Mtngrl!

"I was thinking the Edgewater ( a dump?) after seeing the name somewhere.." LOL, Scarlett, I remember reading posts on some forum about the Edgewater too.

My favorite story about the place is from one of my brothers. He and his wife honeymooned there...ummmm... too many years ago to count, and were staying in a room they knew to have a beautiful view of Puget Sound. Problem was they'd forgotten how close the place is to the ferry docks when they checked in late the evening after their wedding.

As my brother tells it, next morning he jumped out of bed, wearing nothing but his... umm... honeymoon suit, and threw open the curtains to enjoy the view. Just so happened that a ferry, loaded with summer tourists, was passing by at that very moment. Naturally, the tourists' attention was drawn to the sudden opening of the curtains. And there was my brother, au naturale, (he claims) an arms length away.

He and his wife haven't stayed there since, and neither have any of us who know the story. Go with the Alexis!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,005 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edgewater Hotel-Mtngrl!

LOL, great story mistletoe!!

The Alexis does sound more like what we like, thanks so much. Great recommendations!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edgewater Hotel-Mtngrl!

mistletoe, LOL!!!!!!!!!! I need to tell that story to my husband.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edgewater Hotel-Mtngrl!

Also, if you have a friend that works at Starbucks, ask her to make your reservation at the Alexis. Starbucks and Kimpton have some sort of crazy deal worked out so Starbucks employees get phat discounts at those hotels.

Wait a minute. Did I just say "phat?"

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edgewater Hotel-Mtngrl!

Oregone--So maybe I need a p/t job at Starbucks to help with my travel addiction:) That is cool though that the employees get that perk!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,005 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edgewater Hotel-Mtngrl!

oregone, you did! you said PHAT!!

What if I just tell them I drink a LOT of Starbucks? Will that work? :)