We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Lucia, The Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison?

boston, ma
Level Contributor
64 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Lucia, The Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison?

Has anyone stayed at these three hotels? Can you give me a room size comparison, staff attitude, ease of checking in, overall ambiance? Need to pick one, and the hotel section of the tripadvisor web site doesn't give any comparisons.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,060 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Lucia, The Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison?

I always stay at the 5th Ave Suites.

Did you go to their websites?

From what I hear..Lucia rooms are small, some are noisy but some are great. It might depend on the price of the room.

Between the Lucia and the Hotel Vintage is a restaurant called Typhoon..fabulous Thai restaurant!

The Heathman is a beautiful hotel, rooms are probably normal sized and nice. It is a busy area, don't know about noise.

We have gone to their restaurant a few times, it is nice but seems like something always goes wrong..Bar area is good for Happy Hour or snacks.

5th Ave Suites rooms are, well, suites! so they are definitely bigger than just regular hotel rooms. With sliding french doors to cut the bedroom off from the living area..Bathrooms in the 5th Ave are bigger than some hotel rooms lol.

Staff attitude at the 5th Ave is known for its friendliness and courtesy, very helpful!

They have a "Grand lobby" which is like a living room in the lobby, with a fireplace (which comes in handy at this time of year)..every morning is complimentary coffee for guests and every late afternoon is a wine tasting.

The Red Star Tavern & Grill next door is a very good restaurant with an award winning chef.

I guess you know which one I would choose lol..good luck!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Lucia, The Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison?

Since you probably won't find someone who's stayed in all three, maybe we can help by process of elimination, gowest.

Though it was several years ago, I have stayed in the Heathman. As Scarlett says, in most respects, it's a beautiful hotel. But I remember the rooms as being smallish. I'm thinking maybe as small as some of the older rooms in the Waldorf Astoria.

If it makes a difference, Hotel Lucia is the more contemporary of the three.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
64 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Lucia, The Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison?

Thank you all for replying. I got a little concerned with the Heathman postings on the hotel site, though that was my first choice since my husband and I had stayed there "way back in the day" and really enjoyed it. We did have a suite then, however, so perhaps that was why we loved it. Some of the recent postings were rather harsh.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,060 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Lucia, The Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison?

Hi

I just looked at a couple of reviews and sometimes I think reading those reviews is a waste of time. What annoys one person might not bother you or I..True the valets have their hands full when things start hopping, there are weddings and parties there most weekends and weekend nights are hell. Someone called it a boutique hotel which I really do not think the Heathman qualifies in any way as a boutique hotel.

I guess whatever your priority , that should help you choose.

We stayed at the 5th Ave Suites for 10 days at a time, so we really wanted a larger than usual room, but did not want to spend a fortune. Happily, not only are the suites the price of regular hotel rooms elsewhere, but they gave us a better rate for staying longer than a week.

The garage is expensive, but then , all the hotels in town really get you with hotel parking.

I hope you come back and tell us which hotel you picked :)

Portland, OR
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Lucia, The Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison?

My husband and I stayed at the Heathman last month and were very satisfied.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,060 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Lucia, The Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison?

That's great Candy, would you like to tell us which room or kind of room you had?

That might help gowest make this decision :)

Portland, OR
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Lucia, The Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison?

Sure, I'd be happy to. It was really very much a last minute thing due to emergency bathroom repairs in our home (we live in Portland). We were upgraded to a suite (sorry, don't remember the suite number) and the staff was very helpful in light of our stressful circumstances.

We didn't have to deal with valet parking as our son dropped us off and picked us up.

Hope this helps.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Lucia, The Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison?

I stayed at the Heathman a while back in a suite. Not a grand fancy thing, just a one bedroom. It was great and reasonably priced. The breakfast was outstanding!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
64 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Lucia, The Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison?

I quess my concern is that I am coordinating this trip for eight couples, including us. We will be in Portland for one, possible two nights, in July (with our Austin Healeys) and trying to find a special place for everyone will be tough. Some go for the space, some for the ambiance, some the price. My feeling is that if we are going to be on the opposite coast, it would be nice to stay somewhere reflecting that fact. Travelling for business - that's a different story. You want ease of check-in, quiet, of course cleanliness, all in all a hastle free experience. For this trip I want all of that, but something else. I want these friends who have never seen the northwest to see a hotel they wouldn't find in Boston. But after reading the reviews on The Heathman, especially the message that says "DO NOT GO THERE," I am rethinking my reservation. A new review posted a couple of days ago doesn't help, especially the parking part.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,060 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Lucia, The Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison?

Then go to the 5th Avenue Suites, with the wine tasting each afternoon, you will feel more in the West Coast Wine Country than back East ( where I am from)..

Someone once told me that planning a trip for a lot of people was like "herding cats"...I wish you luck :)