We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Recomendation

Puerto Penasco...
Level Contributor
49 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Recomendation

I am in Portland with another female business associate. We have one night to go our for dinner and are looking for a good place. We are at the Embassy Suites on Pine and would love to find somewhere close. Any suggestions for something Italian or some regional cuisins?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Recomendation

For traditional home-style Italian, Mama Mia Trattoria would be a good choice. It's just a couple blocks from you. On the more gourmet side, Pazzo, located in the Vintaga Plaza Hotel, is probably the best nearby choice.

If you want to see a little of Portland, and don't mind the excercise, take a walk up to the Pearl District, where you'll have more choices than you can deal with.

Enjoy your stay here.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,960 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Recomendation

I agree with mistleto, Mama Mia for good Italian ( she is from NY and uses her "gravy" that cooks all day :) )

We had dinner in Pazzo last Thursday and while I had pasta in mind, they make a wonderful grilled tuna and roast chicken on a bed of Parmesan polenta..quite good.

If you do come to the Pearl, Fratellis is good, Serratto on NW 21st and Cafe Mingo, a few doors down on NW21st.

You can get to all of these places by streetcar, nothing is too far away in Portland.

Have fun, the weather is perfect right now-

Level Contributor
35,434 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Recomendation

Our lunch at Carlyle last Thurs. was very nice. I had the Winter Salad which consisted of Bittersweet Farms Greens, roasted Cinderella pumpkin (very unique touch) polenta crutons, Gala apples and goat cheese vinaigrette. Very nicely done salad.

My entree was the Seared Diver Scallops on Saffron Risotto with Crisp prosciutto,, grilled asparagus and balsamic reduction. It also was very good.

Carlyle also serves dinner and may be a nice option for you. Have a nice trip and enjoy your stay in Portland! :) They have a website to view menus, hours, etc....

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,029 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Recomendation

Another vote for Mama Mia's. The owner is very nice, and the food is good.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,960 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Recomendation

Yes, Carlyle is very nice, not very Italian but very nice.

carlyle restaurant dot com will show you the place & menu.

If you would like something regional but Thai rather than Italy :) I would suggest Typhoon, which is on SWBroadway & SWWashington..excellent wonderful Thai LOL

Does it sound like I like this place? :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Recomendation

If by "regional" you mean Pacific Northwest, most restaurants in Portland have menu items prepared with local touches/flavors.

Scarlett!! You left out Giorgio's!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,960 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Recomendation

LOL, I was trying not to confuse with too many names..

ok, Add Giorgios to the list and right up the block is Piazza Italia..the owner, a nice old man, will no doubt kiss your cheeks when he sees you :)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Recomendation

The Carlyle, Georgio's and Paley's Place are the best in town for fine, white linen, great chef dining. If you're looking for something more casual, Piazza Italia can't be beat. The atmosphere is casual, the food outstanding.

Puerto Penasco...
Level Contributor
49 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Recomendation

Thanks to all of you. We walked to Mama Mia and it was wonderful!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,960 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Recomendation

Hey! that is great! Isn't Lisa (the owner) nice?

What did you have ... come on, you have to tell us ALL :)