We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday Rush Hour/Best Route

Richmond,Il
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Friday Rush Hour/Best Route

My Dad will be flying into Portland and driving a rental car up to Toledo, Wa for our family reunion on Friday, July 8th around 3-4p. I was just wondering if I-5 is his best choice(only choice?) and how bad the rush hour will be at that time? Thanks for any advice you can give us...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friday Rush Hour/Best Route

Hi THere- if he is getting out of town between 3-4pm should be ok as far as traffic, unless some big wreck or something. If he's coming from the portalnd airport, I'd use I-205 north which connects into I-5 just north of Vancouver. From there follow I-5 to Toledo exit...

Richmond,Il
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friday Rush Hour/Best Route

Thanks...he will actually be visiting a friend in a nursing home(1400 N.E. 2nd Ave)first to take him out for lunch. He'll then be making his way north. I'm hoping he's on the road by 3pm and will miss the worst of it! Thanks for your help

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friday Rush Hour/Best Route

The sooner the better he heads north on I-5. by 4PM getting kind of late to avoid it, but often it just takes patience and you move on through though slowly.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friday Rush Hour/Best Route

So he'll be on I-5 not 205? Too bad.

Northbound I-5 in the afternoon has terrible traffic - the *worst* in the entire metro area, which overall is pretty bad! By 3:00 pm it is already well clogged up.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friday Rush Hour/Best Route

I-5 is his quickest choice, but lordy, lord it can be hellacious in the afternoon. Worst part is getting through Vancouver, Tacoma and into Seattle. Not sure where Toledo, Washington is...

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Friday Rush Hour/Best Route

Actually, once you get over the "hump" on the Interstate bridge over the Columbia(during rush hour)traffic isn't too bad at all going North on I5 unless there is a bridge lift. Don't worry, traffic is something that "millions" of us deal with every day and we all survive. Chuck...

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Friday Rush Hour/Best Route

Yeh, I live here. no way I would head north on I-5 after 3PM from Rose Garden if i could avoid it. Folks from Vancouver start heading home from work by then. To me that is worst freeway in Portland area. But your friend seems committed to time there. He can just be patient like others. One thing not usually moving real fast

And agree once you cross bridge everything gets better.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,981 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Friday Rush Hour/Best Route

If he is doing lunch, he should easily be on the road by 3, likely earlier. That usually isn't too bad, like chinookgrrl said, unless there is an accident or something.

Toledo is not that far up in WA, only around exit 62/63 or so.

9. Re: Friday Rush Hour/Best Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 01:18