We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for 3-5 days

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for 3-5 days

Hi all..We are driving from Victoria, BC to Portland in early Sept..So im starting the research now. Recomendation for mid price place to stay, close to good food and drinks, and things to see and do.....Oh this is just the start...Please feel free to share any thoughts or experiences....Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for 3-5 days

Are you planning on staying in Portland only for 3-5 days? I would check the portland hotels for recomendations... Any hotels in downtown, Pearl District or NW 23rd ave would be close to good food and drinks. Are you going to do day trips from portland to the mountains or coast?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for 3-5 days

We have been thinking on only staying 3-5 days..Like when we went to San Francisco we stayed in Union Square, close to food and an easy way to get around by cable car....A winery tour for us may be the order of the day..We did get a book from tourisum Portland that we just stared reading to get a few ideas and things to consider....Finding a nice place / central to stay is the first goal im thinking....Please keep those ideas coming....

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for 3-5 days

http://www.northrupstation.com/

Take a look at the Inn at Northrupstation in the Nob Hill area (NW 23rd & 21st ). Free parking, nice breakfast, cheerful atmosphere and free passes for the Portland streetcar that loops around downtown and stops in front of the hotel. The area is full of nice restaurants and boutiques...a great walking area...and only a few minutes by car from anywhere in the city.

The rates are up right now (if you can even get reservations), but may start dropping again in September.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for 3-5 days

Even though we live here, we like to stay overnight in downtown on occassion. Our go to place is the Monaco. Great location, nice hotel, and very helpful staff. They often have specials that include breakfast and parking, so that really helps with the overall cost. The POVA website also has specials for many hotels that include breakfast and parking, although many hotels will match that if you book directly with them, so just check around and see what the best deal is.

The NW area as mentioned is nice too. Although I don't know a local, even 2 that live in that area, that refer to it as Nob Hill.

As for wineries, there are roughly 10 urban wineries as well as the wine region SW of downtown (about 45 minutes away). For the urban wineries, there are 2 near the NW shopping area that share space, Grochau Cellars and Boedecker. Grochau is a favorite of mine. You can easily do the wineries SW of town on your own, but if you want a tour take a look at www.anoseforwine.com. I live here, so haven't taken his tour, but we run into him at various wineries and his clients absolutely rave about him, as do several winemakers that we know. If you drive yourself, just be very careful about tasting/drinking as well as the speed limit. Hwy99w has lots of little towns along it, so the speed limit varies quite often, and the police hand out many tickets in this stretch. Also quite a few red light cameras, with tickets of almost $250.

Enjoy your time here:)

Level Contributor
35,001 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for 3-5 days

Check out the hotels on the POVA website, you will receive complimentary breakfast and parking when you book through this site. We have enjoyed two nice stays at The Benson, several at The Riverplace Hotel, 4 nights at The Hotel Deluxe and one night at The Heathman.

Enjoy your time in Portland! :)

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for 3-5 days

As I always add after syrah's promotion of the POVA website, it always has to be double-checked against direct contact with the hotels themselves. Sometimes it's a good deal, sometimes not. Some hotels, like the Inn@Northrup Station, already include free parking and breakfast in their rates. The extra discount coupons that come with the POVA deal are only worthwhile if you actually plan to use them (some are equal to AAA and AARP discounts).

As for Mtngrl's comment re: "Nob Hill." It was on my recent stay in the area that I learned about that designation. In fact, there are now area tourist maps for different Portland neighborhoods, including one for Nob Hill. I think every town must have one. When we bought our home in Eugene, we found that the city's plat map ID's our street as "Nob Hill." Having pretty much grown up in Californa and being familiar with SF, I always wanted to live on Nob HIll...just didn't know it would be in Eugene!

Again, to Syrah...thanks for keeping us up to date on your summer travels. It sometimes seems you must have multiple personalities since you appear to be in many places simultaneously. And you must be very, very fortunate, having NEVER not enjoyed your recent stays anywhere or had a poorly prepared meal. You lead a charmed life!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for 3-5 days

Poppa--Yes, it is on the tourist map. But the locals still don't refer to it as such.

8. Re: Where to stay for 3-5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 17:17