We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Acworth, Georgia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks May 18th - June 1st- need suggestions on itinerary

Hi All,

I posted a while back that my husband and I (both 36 y/o) are planning a 2 week trip next May for the purpose of a "self guided" brewery tour of Oregon. The more research I have done, the more overwhelmed I feel. Obviously we want to visit the craft breweries, but we don't want to miss out on the beauty of the location or the abundance of outdoor activities. We also want to do a winery tour in the Williamette Valley.

Our original thought was to leave everything open and not book hotels, tours, etc in advance. However, we now know that we have to book our wine tour in advance (I have already picked the tour guide) and we are also concerned about leaving Memorial Day weekend "un-booked." We don't want to spend a lot of time calling hotels to find availability.

So... all that said, we have to narrow down our itinerary and that is were I am hoping you all can help.

This is what we have so far.

Fri 5/18- arrive Portland (late)

Sat, Sun, Mon in Portland (possible tues and wed) see below.

These are the things we want to do while in Portland

Pub Tour (Monday 5/21)

Japanese Gardens (probably Sunday)

Sat Market (would go on Sunday)

PSU Farmers Market (Sat only)

Forktown Tour (Sat only)

We are willing to spend more time in Portland and make it our base to travel to Mt. Hood/Columbia River Gorge on Tues/Wed OR we can leave Portland and spend 1-2 nights in Hood River if that what would be best. Our interest is to see the waterfalls and visit Full Sail if able. Possibly cross into Washington for a few of the other breweries and scenery. Can we do this easily from Portland in 1-2 days or would it be best to move to Hood River?

Thursday 5/24 - From Portland or Mt Hood (depending)

Travel to Newport - one night

Friday 5/25 Leave Newport and head to Williamette Valley - currently planning for McMinnville. This is Memorial Day weekend- We know one day will be devoted to our wine tour. Should we plan on an extra day or two to sight see on our own? Can we do the Silver Falls SP for waterfalls from McMinnville? What other scenic byways should we not miss? What about any other outdoor activities here? Kayaking, horseback riding, hot air ballooning, etc?

The other concern is we will be stuck here because hotels may want a 3 night commitment because of the Holiday.

Now we are up to Monday 5/28. This is where we just can't decide what we should do... we have 4 days left...should we head to Bend for the Bend Ale Trail and Sunriver outdoor activities? Is it worth it? How long should we stay, 2 nights? 3? OR should we head back to Portland and on to Seattle?

This will be our very first trip to the Pacific NW and we keep going back and forth whether or not we want to try to visit both Oregon and Seattle or just get a good heavy dose of Oregon?

We are trying to limit changing hotel rooms to 4 times or less, but this is not absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the advice!

By the way, yes, we will have a rental car and yes one of us will always be the designated driver! We are physically able to make 6+ mile hikes to waterfalls if anyone has suggestions.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks May 18th - June 1st- need suggestions on itinerary

You can easily do the gorge activities using Portland as a base.

I would add a second day to the wineries. One day with a tour, the next on your own. Memorial Day Weekend is one of two (Thanksgiving weekend being the other) weekends where most wineries have open houses and it is a big deal here. Many of the small places that are usually by appt only are open, so a great opportunity to try these.

You can easily do Silver Falls from McMinnville. Hot air balloons with Vista Balloons go out of Newberg.

There is a statewide youth baseball tournament held every year in Bend and the surrounding area over Memorial Day Weekend. If you arrive on Monday, that would be best as lodging will be tough to find otherwise. I love the Bend/Sunriver area, as there is so much to do and see. I would opt for 3 nights, personally.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks May 18th - June 1st- need suggestions on itinerary

Why are you going to Newport for one night?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks May 18th - June 1st- need suggestions on itinerary

agree with half brit- as your first time to PNW and to come all this way and only spend one night on the coast could be considered a crime ;) realize you are very interested in winery/brewery tours so if that is your focus that is just fine too. How about spending another night in Portland on Thursday and another day trip to Mt St Helens-especialy if the weather is decent? After your wine tour, Id head for a few days at the coast- you could easily spend 2-3 days in Newport as a base camp for other activities. Or you could always spend 2-3 days in the Bend area-just depends on what you want to do.

I'd suggest Seattle for another trip-

Acworth, Georgia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks May 18th - June 1st- need suggestions on itinerary

The plan was to visit Newport for the Rogue Brewery

Acworth, Georgia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks May 18th - June 1st- need suggestions on itinerary

I hear what you are saying about one night on the coast being a crime.

Can you give me more details about what to see and do using Newport for a base for 2-3 nights? I have read that the most scenic part of the Oregon coast is the most southern... can that be done from Newport?

What about this itinerary...

5/18-5/23 - portland and exploration of the Columbia River Gorge

5/24-5/26 - McMinnville wine tour and exploration (leave on 5/26 for Newport)

5/26-5/28- Newport - this is (leave on 5/28 for Bend)

***this splits Memorial day weekend between 2 locations- is that wise??***

5/28-5/31-Bend

5/31- leave Bend head back to Portland for departure to ATL on 6/1

Lastly, can we do the Williamette Vally justice if we don't stay in McMinnville? Could this be done from Portland too?

I appreciate the advice!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks May 18th - June 1st- need suggestions on itinerary

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g51992-Activitie…

Nearby Yachats... tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g52148-Activitie…

The most scenic section of the Oregon coast in my opinion is the far south - between Port Orford and the Calif border. That is too far for a one day drive, especially on a holiday weekend. But the section between Florence and Yachats is quite lovely, as well as places such as Devil's Punchbowl just north of Newport.

There will be heavy, heavy traffic on Hwy 18 from the Portland metro area to Lincoln City on that weekend. This will be worse if the weather is dry and sunny. (Memorial Day weekend is often rainy on the coast.)

Edited: 07 September 2011, 00:15
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,538 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks May 18th - June 1st- need suggestions on itinerary

Am curious why you thing the Rogue Brewery is so special that it requires a stopover in Newport? There are lots of breweries in Oregon and lots of attractions in the central coast area north and south of Newport. As great as the Oregon Coast is, this was the only destination you listed...and just for the brewery. All other places on your itinerary are inland. If you're not that interested in the coast you could greatly simplify your travel schedule and reduce your driving time by saving the coast for another trip. The hottest brewery in California right now is Ninkasi, in Eugene (no pub yet to go along with the brewery, but you can find their brews everywhere). From Silver Falls SP or McMinnville to Eugene to Bend along the McKenzie River would be a much simpler routing than going to the coast.

I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T go to the coast, especially if you give it more time; just wondering if you really want to.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,538 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks May 18th - June 1st- need suggestions on itinerary

that should read "Am curious why you THINK the Rogue Brewery, etc.......

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks May 18th - June 1st- need suggestions on itinerary

Rogue brewery, Newport? Funny reason to visit Oregon coast. Guess I am just not into brewerys. And I do like beer.

Edited: 07 September 2011, 01:24
Acworth, Georgia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks May 18th - June 1st- need suggestions on itinerary

It's not that we are not interested in the coast and yes, in the initial planning Rogue was the big pull to Newport. I would love to see the coast, but if the most scenic portion is way south, that is not an option for this trip.

I really don't want to sound naive here, but what is it about the central OR coast that is the big attraction. We have been to many beaches and sea villages... Southeast- Gulf and Atlantic, New England... Maine, CT and RI, San Diego, parts of N. California, Mexico... etc, etc.

I was reading through some travel brochures last night about Astoria and the far north coast. This actually sounds more interesting to me than Central Coast. What is your recommendation between the two?

This trip is not ALL about the beer, but when we were doing our initial planning we were picking locations based on breweries. Our focus has shifted to include more outdoor activities and scenic drives... if we can add in a great brewery that's great too.

Thanks for the tip on Ninkasi....