We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Hiking Itinerary in July 2012

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
35 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon Hiking Itinerary in July 2012

I haven't seen others quite like this one and I'm hoping for help choosing/tweaking one of these itineraries. Here are our specs:

We're a group of 6-8 outdoorsy 40-50 yr old friends interested in the biological & geological highlights of northern Oregon. Since we'll be travelling from New England and renting a van, I'm sticking to day hikes and indoor lodging but I'd like to maximize time outside and minimize the driving. Also, because of the size of the group, I need to reserve rooms well in advance.

I'd like to show my friends a little of everything: waterfalls, volcanoes, alpine meadows, glaciers, ancient forests, hot springs, lava beds, the coast, and Portland, of course.

ITINERARY #1

Fri: Arrive / sleep Ace Hotel

Sat: PDX stuff / sleep Ace

Sun: MT ST Helens / sleep Ace

Mon: Gorge/Eagle Creek hike / sleep Hood River or Timberline Lodge

Tues: Eliot Glacier hike / sleep Timberline

*Wed: drive to Bagby, Bagby hike, drive/hike to Jawbone Flats / sleep Opal Creek Lodge.

*(My concern is that this will be a long day and we'll cut Bagby short because of the drive/hike to Opal Creek.)

Thurs: Opal Creek hike / OC Lodge

Fri: McKenzie Pass hike / sleep Sisters or Bend?

Sat: McKenzie River trail (or other) hike, drive to PDX / PDX hotel

Sun: Depart

~~~~~~~~~~

Alternatively, we could skip Opal Creek but see the coast, too...

ITINERARY #2

Fri: Arrive / sleep Ace Hotel

Sat: PDX stuff / sleep Ace Hotel

Sun: MT ST Helens / sleep Ace Hotel

Mon: Gorge/Eagle Creek hike / sleep Hood River or Timberline Lodge

Tues: Eliot Glacier hike/ sleep Timberline

Wed: drive to Bagby, Bagby hike / sleep Sisters???

Thursday: McKenzie Pass lava hike, drive to coast / sleep???

Friday: coast hike (Cascade Head?) / sleep where???

Sat: either hike in the morning and then drive to PDX or drive to PDX and do something fun there. Sleep Ace hotel.

Sun: Depart

~~~~~~~~

PS I know Crater Lake would be higher on some lists but I don't want to drive down that far. And thanks in advance. I love this site and especially the Destination Experts who give it so much of their time!

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,286 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Hiking Itinerary in July 2012

Hey, Lorenzo,

I would definitely go to Opal Creek. It's a wonderful feeling to sleep where you have to hike in a little. The views and water is fantastic there. they are pretty much vegetarian there, so unless you can cope with that, bring your own (or call ahead and check on the menu.) The scenery there is breath taking.

I would also consider the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. we are the only sea level gorge in the US.... It was gorged out by the Missoula Lake Floods during the ice ages. At the base of Oregon's tallest Mountain, Mt. Hood. You can take I-84 east from Portland and then take 35 until it merges with 26 to go on to Timberline when you are ready.

I might suggest Timberline for the adventure, but maybe you guys would like a forest cabin rental in the Mount Hood National Forest. Some are just clad new creations, but some are Steiners, our historic cabins up there.

Check into Lodging in Rhodendran, Government Camp (an alpine village kind of city along side Timberline) Welches,

As for lodging in the Gorge, you have so many choices. Hood River is great. Cascade Locks, Stevenson WA. There is a resort in North Bonneville called Bonneville Hot-springs Spa and Resort.. I like it there. I get rooms with a hot tub on the deck facing the mountains. It's pure mineral water. the common pool has to be by law chlorinated some. The tubs in the room probably fit about 6 people. We had three in it and there were several corners left.

As for hikes, you can check on www.nwhiker.com for your hikes. Since you don't want to search by name, search for difficulty level or feature. (Or go into Multnomah Falls Visitor Center and there are trained volunteers who can help you.) Wahclella, Beacon Rock, Oneonta Gorge, Wahkeena, Mt. Defiance, and Eagle Creek are all hikes in the area.

Tie down reservations as soon as possible. The second part of July is about our best month.

Have fun planning,

Mrso

Edited: 05 December 2011, 22:00
Mentioned in this post
Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area
Columbia River Gorge...
4,560 Reviews
Oregon
Missoula
Missoula
Montana
Mount Hood National Forest
Mount Hood National...
160 Reviews
Welches, OR
Multnomah Falls
Multnomah Falls
2,624 Reviews
Bridal Veil, OR
Oneonta Gorge
Oneonta Gorge
503 Reviews
Cascade Locks, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Hiking Itinerary in July 2012

Hi THere-

nwhiker a great resource- there still may be tons of snow on Mt Hood in July so depending on the snow season and your skill level the elliott glacier hike may or may not be ok. I know I wanted to do some hiigh alpine hiking this year and had to wait until mid August to do it...

Agree that Bagby and Opal creek in one day will be pushing it, if you want to go to a hot spring, you might like Breitenbush Hot Springs- it is somewhat near Opal Creek, but its more of a rustic lodge 'hippiesh' retreat rather than out in the woods, etc...

from your post it sounds like you are mountain folks, so if you want to focus on that, by all means- you will want to come back and explore the coast...

McKenzie Pass should be open and you will really like it- Proxy Falls is a good short hike. I'd spend the night in Sisters, no need to go to Bend unless you want to do shopping or need necessities from a mid-sized town... Bend is great, but if you want to minimize driving you can stay in sisters... perhaps look at Black Butte Ranch or there are other lodgings in Sisters proper...

Mentioned in this post
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Hiking Itinerary in July 2012

For a hike check out Oneonta Gorge Loop. It's not far from PDX, trailhead at Horsetail Falls. It is varied terain and goes behind a waterfall! It is a loop so you don't have to go back the way you came! You can take in the Columbia River Gorge Historic Highway and the waterfalls on that same day.

Mentioned in this post
Oneonta Gorge
Oneonta Gorge
503 Reviews
Cascade Locks, OR
Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
35 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Hiking Itinerary in July 2012

Thanks everyone. I'm still undecided about whether to stay in the mountains all week or head to the coast because it would be a shame to miss it. But I have nailed down the PDX, Gorge, & Mt Hood lodging. That brings us through until Thursday and we can spend Friday either at McKenzie Pass, or head to the coast and return to PDX on Saturday.

So...

If you were driving from the Cascades through Eugene or Salem to the coast on Friday morning to stay over until Saturday afternoon before heading back to Portland, where would you go to see the most dramatic scenery, do some hiking, and maybe stay in an interesting place for the night?

Mentioned in this post
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Salem
Salem
Oregon
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Hiking Itinerary in July 2012

If you will be spending the night in Sisters. as Chinookgrr; suggests, taking the Old McKenzie Hwy (#242) is a good idea. It offers Dee Wright Observatory (atop an impressive lava bed with views in clear weather of all the volcanic peaks from Hood to Diamond), great close-up of the Three Sisters and Proxy Falls. But it's a slow drive. If you need to take a faster route, take #20 to #126 (McKenzie Hwy...main connector between Bend and Eugene/Springfield). This will take you by Clear Lake (5.5 mile great hike around rim) (source of McKenzie River), Sahalie Falls and along the McKenzie River and McKenzie River Trail (more than 20 miles long...take your pick of which section to hike).

Eugene to Yachats is about 2 1/2 hours. Great coastal viewing north of Florence. Yachats is just a couple miles north of Cape Perpetua, another great viewing and hiking area.

http://mckenzierivertrail.com/

http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/SBmckenzie.asp

…usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Oregon/HighCascades/dee_…

Mentioned in this post
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Yachats
Yachats
Oregon Coast, OR
Florence
Florence
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon Hiking Itinerary in July 2012

From Eugene to the coast I would definitely see Devil's Churn close to Cape Perpetua. It is sound of Newport. The water rushes in an "inlet" and crashed and booms. You can get pretty close on the rocks to experience it. Don't go out too close to the edge as sneaker waves can get you!

Mentioned in this post
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Devil's Churn
Devil's Churn
433 Reviews
Yachats, OR
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,645 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon Hiking Itinerary in July 2012

>>It is sound of Newport.<<

Er, "south"

;-)

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g52148-Activitie…

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
8. Re: Oregon Hiking Itinerary in July 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2012, 10:16