We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment/Condo Rental Portland Downtown

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment/Condo Rental Portland Downtown

My wife and I are planning on 5 nights in Portland at the end of July beginning of August 2012.

We have been looking at a few websites such as home&away, and vrbo. We are struggling to find a 1 bed/studio apartment with availability for this time.

Any ideas where else we can look, also I've read a few posts on airbnb and wondered if anyone had feedback on airbnb in Portland.

I must stress my wife is a bit of a fuss pot and like quite modern looking apartments with full facilities like washer/dryer, nice bed etc.

Any help welcome.

Regards

John.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment/Condo Rental Portland Downtown

you arent unique- in fact today there was an article saying the Portland had the lowest apartment vacancy rates in the US...and landlords/owners can be quite choosy as to who occupies their household... July and August are prime vacation time...

vrbo is most recommended here... I have not heard of airbnb- but looks legit to me. I shudder to recommend craigslist, but I have had a few close contacts with success on that route...

do you have to be in Portland proper? There might be options in the adjacent suburbs(i.e. Lake Oswego if you want modern full faciliites, etc)...

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment/Condo Rental Portland Downtown

John:

You should check with the concierge at Indigo/12 West, which is right in the heart of downtown, a block south of W Burnside at 12th. A friend found a unit for some friends (a family of four) there in Summer 2010 and they LOVED it and found the rates at or below what better hotels charged.

This past summer I made a call to ask whether they still had short term/VRBO-type rentals and they said 'yes' (didn't find out what rates were like).

Hope that helps,

Brian

http://www.indigo12west.com/

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment/Condo Rental Portland Downtown

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

We would like to be in downtown, as we are going out to the Columbia Gorge for 6 nights just before Portland.

Thanks

John

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,894 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment/Condo Rental Portland Downtown

I have read some feedback about air bnb (although not for Portland) and as long as one carefully reads the description of the accommodations, they seem to work out very well for people.

There was somebody last year who was looking for the same sort of place . . . let me see if I can find it.

Ah, here it is!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g52024-i238-k39616…

5. Re: Apartment/Condo Rental Portland Downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2012, 10:20