We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to eat off I-5 between Seattle-Portland?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
130 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Place to eat off I-5 between Seattle-Portland?

Will be driving down to Portland on a Sunday morning and would like a recommendation for place to eat for early lunch for family with 2 teens.

I figure we will be hungry when we are somewhere in the area past Tacoma near Olympia. In the past we've always stopped at Burgerville since we don't have it in Canada but would like an alternative.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to eat off I-5 between Seattle-Portland?

You might also post this on the Washington forum, but in my experience, there is nothing with easy access from/to I-5 between Tacoma and Portland worth planning for.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,825 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to eat off I-5 between Seattle-Portland?

Darn! I was hoping for an answer to this also. We drive up to the Seattle area frequently and had a place in Castle Rock we liked to stop at...but it closed on us. Our fall back resort has been Subway, but we'd really like to find something else. I know there are McMenamins in Olympia and Centtralia, but I don't thing either is right off the I-5.

I've seen this question asked before on the Washington Forum, with similar responses to thrumylens's. But it's worth trying again. I'll be watching for the responses also.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to eat off I-5 between Seattle-Portland?

Mary McCrank's just south of Chehalis is about 10 minutes or so from I-5 (exit 74 if I recall). Haven't been there for ages, but used to be very good and not too pricey. A real old-fashioned dinner house (also lunch) featuring relish tray, home-baked biscuits and Parker House rolls, the whole package with your meal.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to eat off I-5 between Seattle-Portland?

I usually look for a Burgerville too. I've stopped at the McMenamin's in Centralia (Olympic Club) and it's OK - but service is not speedy. (Typical, for a McMen's.)

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to eat off I-5 between Seattle-Portland?

Burgerville is a very good suggestion. Especially for someone who is from "out of town". They are good, "local" burger joints, that serve a quality product. They are also socially responsible, if that means anything to anybody. Google "burgerville" to find locations. Also, I hope you post on the Tacoma and Olympia forums, since that is the area you are looking for, not Portland(?) Chuck...

Edited: 07 March 2012, 01:38
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to eat off I-5 between Seattle-Portland?

We have enjoyed eating at a place called Kit Carson's, on the east side of the freeway at Chehalis. Easy on, easy off of the freeway.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,389 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to eat off I-5 between Seattle-Portland?

Chuck, slightly off topic here ... wasn't it a Burgerville in Vancouver that was going to start serving beer a couple of years ago? What ever happened with that?

Edited: 07 March 2012, 05:55
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,180 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to eat off I-5 between Seattle-Portland?

McMenamin's Olympic Club in Centrailia is not visible from the freeway but it is easily accessible from I-5 by taking the exit and following it down and to the left. Parking is easy the clam chowder is great. The teens could play a game of pool as they wait for their meal. It's about 1/2 way and a good place to stop for a break.

MrsO

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to eat off I-5 between Seattle-Portland?

What about Spiffy's a diner right on the Hwy 12 exit east side of the freeway... nothing fancy all american faire-but good pie...

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to eat off I-5 between Seattle-Portland?

The Burgerville in Salmon Creek has(or at least used to have)beer. I haven't been there for a while so I don't know for sure. Chuck...