We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Best" Seafood Restaurant in Downtown

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
"Best" Seafood Restaurant in Downtown

I have one night free during a professional conference. We are putting together a dinner out and would like to be sure it includes great seafood (crab, clams, shrimp, salmon)

In addition to good food, we'll want a good selection of wines and domestic beers. Price range= $25 per person before drinks, celebratory/best friends.

I know this is very subjective but throw those ideas at me!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Best" Seafood Restaurant in Downtown

You'll probably get varying opinions, but if it MUST be downtown and MUST include all of the above seafood items AND local beer/wine, then I'd vote for Jake's Famous Crawfish (it will not say so anywhere on the menu, but it is part of the McCormick & Schmick's 'chain'). The restaurant is among the oldest and most venerated in Portland and I've always been happy with the food and drinks there. $25/pp may be a little on the low end, however. Check it out and click on the 'Menus' link on the lefthand side (menu updated daily): mccormickandschmicks.com/locations/portland-…

The other couple options I'd recommend are: Southpark ( http://southparkseafood.com/ ) and Ringside Fish House ( http://www.ringsidefishhouse.com/ ). All are centrally located, within 2-4 blocks of Pioneer Courthouse Square.

Brian

Edited: 03 April 2012, 22:49
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Best" Seafood Restaurant in Downtown

Not much to add to Brian's always excellent advice, but McCormick & Schmick's also has the Harborside, down on the riverfront. If you look at menus and see that they're not quite within budget, a decent step down (I think) would be to Newport Seafood Grill, literally on the water at Riverplace, in the southwest corner of downtown. It's also part of a chain. Ownership's changed recently though, so I'm not certain of menu prices (and the website's no help in that regard).

If I were picking, it'd be Southpark.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Best" Seafood Restaurant in Downtown

How many people?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,038 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Best" Seafood Restaurant in Downtown

Another vote for Southpark. That is our go-to place for seafood around here.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Best" Seafood Restaurant in Downtown

Jake's and Ringside Fish House are our 2 favorite Portland seafood choices. But, yes, $25 per person is pushing it pricewise. It can be done, but eliminates some of your choices.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,040 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Best" Seafood Restaurant in Downtown

If you have a big enough group they may make a group rate. I know that if you call Jakes they are very accommodating.

MrsO

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Best" Seafood Restaurant in Downtown

I like and recommend Jake's too.

Level Contributor
35,459 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Best" Seafood Restaurant in Downtown

We like Harborside! There is always a very nice variety of fresh fish on the menu and you will have pretty views of the boats and marina. They have awesome desserts at Harborside,, also. We love thier Trio of Creme Brulee there. Enjoy your time in Portland! :)

Edited: 04 April 2012, 16:46
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Best" Seafood Restaurant in Downtown

These restaurant questions are always tough, not only because opinions are subjective, but also because respondents don't often provide any context/qualifiers in their replies. So it's impossible for the OP to know if she's really getting recommendations for the "best" (which implies in comparison to others), or, as I believe is the case here, a poster is recommending the only seafood restaurant in town they've ever been to. It's kinda like Motel 6 showing up as the #2 highest-rated lodging in Coos Bay. We all know it's not really 2nd best, it's just convenient and inexpensive, so more people stay there.

So, in the interest of full disclosure, I'll qualify my response by saying I've only been to Ringside Fish House once, and all others mentioned in this thread, at least twice, though not necessarily recently. ;-)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Best" Seafood Restaurant in Downtown

Nothing says 'best seafood in Portland' like a 'Trio of Creme Brulee' for dessert! :-D

In Harborside's favor on the beer side, this M&S location shares space with Full Sail Brewing (Pilsner Room), therefore they always have a good variety of Full Sail standards and unique 'one-offs' that don't get bottled. Maybe 15 taps, and always a few things that keep a beer-lover like me happy. Also, Harborside (and sister restauants Jake's Famous Crawfish and Jake's Grill (in Governor Hotel)) have EXCELLENT happy hour pricing on food, so if the OP's group wanted to have a mixer beforehand in the bar, any would be recommended. The 'downside' to Harborside is its non-central location, along the river at the southern end of downtown...