We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hood River, Oregon

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hood River, Oregon

I am staying at the Hood River Inn in the Columbia Gorge for three days. I would like to know what kind of outdoor activities the local folks do. What are the recommended restaurants or shops to see?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hood River, Oregon

Lots of hikes in Columbia Riv Gorge. Some short like Bridal Veil some longer like Eagle Creek. View from top of Multnomah Falls interesting though a bit scary.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hood River, Oregon

Hood River is lucky enough to be home to one of the most unique hikes in all of Oregon. From downtown, take Main St (Hwy 30) east to Hwy 35. From there, head south until you see the first road on your right. There should be a little sign that says "power station." Go down that little road and park in the lot about a quarter mile down. The trail parallels the Mt Hood Railroad and a very large pipeline for the first mile. After that, cross the pedestrian bridge. I don't want to go into too much detail after that point because I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hood River, Oregon

You have picked a nice place to stay. Hood River is a delightfully funky small town with lots of local artists and visiting tourists adding to the mix of friendly folk. Wind surfing is a big favorite, as is hiking the trails around the area. Crossing the Bridge of the Gods over to the Washington side might be fun if you would like to dine at Skamania Lodge or do some golfing. If you tend towards wilderness hiking, please make sure someone knows where you are heading and when you plan to be back.

Portland
Level Contributor
120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hood River, Oregon

After all your hiking/outdooring, hit the Full Sail brewery in Hood River for a pint or two.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hood River, Oregon

Better yet, spailey, eat at 6th St Bistro a block away and then have beers afterwards at the Full Sail Brewery. Full Sail's outdoor porch overlooks the river/industrial area, and it's about the only place in town that you can still smoke cigarettes at.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hood River, Oregon

Oregone - Thanks for the info on the hiking trail. We did go on that hike up to the dam. What a great surprise at the pedestrian bridge! We enjoyed our stay at Hood River and also hiked the Eagle Creek Trail in about 3.4 miles. We were a little disappointed that the trail did not afford many close up views of the waterfalls (I wish we could have made it in to Tunnel Falls). We ate at a great place called Brian's Pourhouse in Hood River. Again, thanks for the great tip on local adventures!

GA
Level Contributor
204 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hood River, Oregon

Without spoiling the surprise---about how long and how strenuous is this hike to the dam/pedestrian bridge/surprise? This sounds interesting, and we plan to be in Hood River for one night in June. What other trails, sights, etc. would you reccommend?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hood River, Oregon

Wandb- It's about 3/4 mile to the pedestrian bridge, and that's when it starts to get very interesting. Without ruining the surprise, I'd say that it would be a refreshing hike on a hot day.

Another trip, if you have a car, would be the hour's drive to Wahtum Lake. Take 13th street south out of Hood River and follow the signs to Dee. Great views of Mt. Hood through the orchards. Once you hit Dee, follow the signs to Wahtum Lake via Lost Lake Rd. It's mostly a one-lane paved FS road. As of last weekend, a snow drift stops you about 2 miles from the lake, but that will probably be melted by June 1st or so.

By the way, Hood River closes downtown streets to vehicular traffic on the first Friday of the month for their "first Fridays" festival. Wall to wall people as far as you could see.

GA
Level Contributor
204 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hood River, Oregon

To phirl---More info please. What do you mean by "a little scary"??

Does this mean "WOW! This is really high, hope I don't fall" scary?

Or possibly, "These trails are too slippery, I'm going to fall" scary?

My husband is not too keen on heights, he'd rather view a waterfall from the bottom than the top. However, if the view is really worth it, he will trek along with me to the top---if it is not dangerous. Then we both view it from the bottom, and wonder at the courage or daring of those folks "way up there"!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hood River, Oregon

wandb, that is my husband. He is quite happy standing at the bottom and looking up at those crazy people ( in his mind) on the bridge and forget about getting up to the top of Multnomah Falls :O(

I think phirl means wow scary or in my husbands case, just plain scary, he won't go there lol.

Bridal Veil is wonderful and my husband had no problem with that hike..