We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 Days in the NW

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
6 Days in the NW

My husband and I plan to spend 6 days in Portland OR, Vancouver BC & Seattle WA (2 days in each city) in the beginning of July. We have never been to this area before. We are in our late 50's-early 60's, and enjoy walking & sight-seeing, but aren't overly active. I would love some ideas of what we MUST see, the best areas (downtown?) to stay, and whether we should rent a car for the 6 days, or travel from city to city by train. Any other advise also would be appreciated. Thank you.

Level Contributor
34,757 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 Days in the NW

What is our budget for lodging? The Nines is a very nice hotel in downtown Portland where we have enjoyed staying. It is in a fantastic location for restaurants, shopping, sight-seeing, etc. :)

2. Re: 6 Days in the NW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 May 2012, 17:18
Edited: 20 May 2012, 17:18
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 Days in the NW

Reality intrudes, this is a huge area. In only 6 days, for these 3 cities, you'll be on the road, by car or by train, an excessive amount of time, which will provide but a fleeting glance at would otherwise be a memorable trip. You could fly, but that, too, takes time considering all that goes into it, including another car rental. BTW, if you focus on only downtown areas, the three cities are fairly walk-able, no car necessary. But if you want to see different and more interesting sights, you will need a car or rely on tours.

I'd continue your research on each of the three cities and their surrounding areas, pick one, perhaps two, and let us then know your thoughts. We could help with an itinerary. Obviously, that is just my opinion. For a change from two large cities, consider Victoria if Seattle is to be your base.

Have you selected "Things to Do" for each of the cities (including Victoria), left hand column?

Will you be arriving and departing from Portland? If so, that will, obviously, eat considerably into your sightseeing time. Travel time between each of cities will be 3 or so hours, traffic willing, so you'll have used, RT, about 12+ hours driving, just travelling north and return from Vancouver.

Border crossings by road can take time in tourist season.

Edited: 20 May 2012, 17:23
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 Days in the NW

Thank you for your prompt response. We are flying into Portland, then out of Seattle. Other than than our schedule is wide open. Perhaps we should spend just one night in Portland, then take a train to Vancouver?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 Days in the NW

Perhaps you could, if that's what you want to do. What it boils down to, is to decide what you want to do and then(as Nike says) "Just Do It". Good luck. Chuck...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 Days in the NW

agree with voyaging on his analysis, would pick two of the three cities. If you just spend one night in Portland I woud highly recommend taking the train (Amtrak Cascades- NOT coast starlight) to Seattle. I-5 between Portland and Seattle is not scenic and areas of interest beyond the interstate require too much time for your time schedule. The train follows Puget Sound and is fairly scenic...

Agree that a a boat trip to Victoria from Seattle would fit your preferences. It would get you to Canada and in my opinion, Victoria is possibly more picturesque than Vancouver, but I like smaller cities... also possibly less hassles from border crossings....

7. Re: 6 Days in the NW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 08:16