We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay in Portland

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mukwonago, WI
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay in Portland

What's the best area to stay for a week in Portland? My wife, 2 1/2 yr. old son and I are going to spend a week in Portland around labor day. We want to do a combination of urban activities and also lots of outdoor stuff, too (esp. hiking). Ideally we'd like to be in the city. We will probably rent a condo from VRBO, but we don't know anything about the neighborhoods in Portland. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay in Portland

i think the pearl would do you nicely

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,459 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay in Portland

I would recommend somewhere farther west...the NW 21/23 St. area, which positions you closer to Washington Park for outdoor activities, while being in the midst of trendy boutiques, restaurants and very walkable neighborhoods.

If you were to check out VRBO you might be more interested in a home on the SW side of town (Goose Hollow) closer to Washington Park, while still close to downtown.

The Inn@Northrup Station has great vibes, free parking and breakfast and with spacious suites having full kitchens...something to consider. It's also right on the streetcar line and provides free passes.

http://www.northrupstation.com/

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay in Portland

another vote for NW portland- maybe on NW Lovejoy St (sorry couldnt resist)...

Mukwonago, WI
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay in Portland

Thank you for the suggestions. What neighborhoods would fall under NW? I cannot seem to find a NW category on vrbo.com.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,459 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay in Portland

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…a20964

VRBO refers to the neighborhood as "Nob Hill." That's how the city is now calling the area in its brochures. Old timers might still refer to it, I think, as the alphabet district.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay in Portland

Check out options in The Pearl and Nob Hill. Both are easy walks to downtown and lovely neighborhoods. Both on the streetcar line. In September you may want to make sure whatever you rent has air conditioning. Sometimes it gets really hot here around late summer.

Level Contributor
34,181 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay in Portland

The Pearl District and Nob Hill are two of our favorite areas of Portland . :).

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay in Portland

"Old timers might still refer to it, I think, as the alphabet district."

Hey, who you callin' an old timer? But yes, as Chinookgrrl said, NW (21st & 23rd), or the Alphabet District. I imagine most who call it Nob Hill as being Portlandia-types. But I never understood why the name. I mean, Nob Hill in San Francisco is really a hill, but that's not the case in Portland. Which leaves me wondering if the name is just yet another reflection of the ways Oregon has fallen under the influence of California. ;-)

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area to stay in Portland

I've always just called it NW... never heard it called "Alphabet District" until my friend from Florida mentioned it last year, she was thrilled to "school" me.

Nob Hill? Huh.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,379 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area to stay in Portland

would you be intersted in the inn at northrupp station? we just stayed there, and the area was FAB..and there are many small , wonderful restaurants, very kid friendly, and the free street car runs just outside. loved it , can't wait to go back.