We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland Zoo for the Kids - But What to do with the Dog?

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Portland Zoo for the Kids - But What to do with the Dog?

We are going camping in the portland area (around vanouver washington) and want to take the kids to the zoo in Portland one day during the last week of July. We have a dog (mini schnauzer) that we can't just leave at the campsite in the tent and we can't take him to the zoo. Any ideas of a dog daycare that takes drop ins near the zoo? I think we can have him with us on other days when we explore portland but the zoo day has me stumped. I've looked online but have only found overnight kennels or dog daycares that want you to sign up as a regular client.

Oregon
Level Contributor
424 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland Zoo for the Kids - But What to do with the Dog?

We travel with our dog, so I definitely empathize with this challenge.

How about a vet clinic? If you explained your situation, they might board your dog for the day [probably would ask for vaccination and health info first].

Another idea is a place like this -- where individuals do home care and/or dogwalking? Maybe one of them will give your buddy a home for a day [I just googled and popped up with this one; I have no idea if they are good]:

http://www.barkpdx.com/index.html

This looks like it might be a good resource for Portland dog info:

http://www.portlandpooch.com/

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland Zoo for the Kids - But What to do with the Dog?

I just called a dog daycare place on W. Burnside (downtown-ish, but closer to Zoo) called "Virginia Woof". They said they could definitely take your dog for one day, but that you'd just need to allow for about 15 minutes at the start for 'screening' (vet records, make sure he/she gets along ok with others, etc). I spoke with Kyle on the phone... very nice. http://www.virginiawoof.com/

Here's a map to/from VW and the Zoo: http://goo.gl/maps/ynKv

Cheers,

Brian

Edited: 16 July 2012, 16:47
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland Zoo for the Kids - But What to do with the Dog?

Virginia Woof sounds like a good lead. Thanks so much. I can see by your map that it is also just off the I405 so that should make it easy for us to find being from out of town. I also got another lead on a place called Sniff Dog Hotel. Looks like one of these should work out, So now everyone can enjoy zoo day

long beach
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland Zoo for the Kids - But What to do with the Dog?

in our city (los angeles area), we would check with either

rover.com or dogvacay.com

people watch dogs for you (either in home or come to you)

we will be up in portland as well...staying about the same place

also have a small dog

long beach
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland Zoo for the Kids - But What to do with the Dog?

dont' know if this would be helpful for others:

traveloregon.com/trip-ideas/…

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland Zoo for the Kids - But What to do with the Dog?

Just got back. Decided to try Virginia Woof. It was GREAT! Arranged by email with David Stone, Virginia Woofs Director to make sure they would take my dog etc. I emailed them the vet vacination records and filled out their intake form available online. They work with an organization called "outside in" a non-profit to help youth get work experience. They made sure we were okay with that knowing that other staff is always there too. Info is on their website.

They were very professional and really friendly. They did an intake assessment and asked all sorts of questions to make sure they understood my dog and that we (and they) were comfortable with the arrangement. Then they introduced my dog to their pack a few dogs at a time. We watched it on a video camera they had so we could see what was happening. We hung around for a bit to make sure all was good... then OFF to the Zoo.

Very convient to the zoo and the freeway exit. Worked perfectly! We weren't worried at all. Thanks Brian for the great lead and thanks everyone else for the other suggestions

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland Zoo for the Kids - But What to do with the Dog?

That's a great report, Roseuna - glad I could make a good recommendation for you! Hope that others who need short-term dog boarding will see this post and find it helpful...

B

8. Re: Portland Zoo for the Kids - But What to do with the Dog?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2013, 10:17