We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brewpubs and dogs

Michigan
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Brewpubs and dogs

I love beer and my wife loves dogs. I saw on a previous post that the Lucky Labrador is place where people bring their dogs to the patio. This isn't common where we are from (though in Europe we see pets in restaurants all the time), and I was wondering if there are any other Portland brewpubs where people can bring Fido along.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brewpubs and dogs

Yep, Lucky Lab's pubs (there are 3 of them) are known for being very dog-friendly. Thinking about other pubs where I've seen dogs, typically on-leash and at outdoor seating:

Rogue Ales in Pearl District

Deschutes Brewery in Pearl District

Hair of the Dog Brewing Co in SE Portland

Breakside Brewery in NE Portland (our neighborhood favorite pub & we ALWAYS see dogs here)

I'm sure there are others, but those come to mind. All are central to downtown, with the exception of Breakside (but it's worth the 3-4 miles from downtown due to very good beer/food and a nice neighborhood/outdoor vibe)

Michigan
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brewpubs and dogs

Thanks. Those all sound like great options.

One other question -- I'm a fan of IPAs. Do you recommend any of these pubs for that style of beer?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brewpubs and dogs

IPAs are a pretty common style in the Northwest, as you may know...

Honestly, I don't go to Rogue very often (so won't comment), but of the others:

Deschutes - Inversion IPA and Chainbreaker (Belgian 'White IPA') in their regular lineup and the Pearl Pub always seems to have at least one other IPA or similarly-hopped IPA-ish beer in the rotation.

Hair of the Dog - Blue Dot, when fresh, is one of THE best IPAs/Double IPAs out there...

Breakside - a recent add has been 'Woodlawn IPA' (realllllly good - enough that it'll probably become their 'flagship' IPA when thay start to can/bottle soon) and one simply called 'IPA'. They also brew a good Dry Stout, Saison and a curious chocolate/pepper strong beer called 'Aztec'...

Eugene, Ore
Level Contributor
108 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brewpubs and dogs

I am so happy to see this posting. i also love to take my dog with me.We enjoyed the Lucky Lab Brew Pub on Hawthorne. Are there suggestions for other dog freindly bars, coffee shops, and restaurants?

Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brewpubs and dogs

I was just touring the many breweries of Portland this last weekend and saw Amnesia was dog friendly, had a nice outdoor seating area.

And I'll second Breakside Brewery as not only a good, dog friendly spot but a MUST do if you are a beer fan. That was our last stop before getting on the train back to Seattle... LOVED IT!!!

Had an amazing burger and loved their beer, especially the Aztec (had 3 of 'em).

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brewpubs and dogs

I have a dog (75 lb labrador!) and live in SE Portland. Honestly, most places are at a minimum dog-tolerant at their outside tables. I have never had a problem with my lab, I also have never tried to take him inside anywhere! I think as long as your dog is well behaved, will lay under the table or sit by you calmly, Portland is very open to pets in public places! There are some places that encourage dogs (Lucky Lab & Amnesia have been mentioned) and there are some places that do not allow dogs (Apex comes to mind) - but those places will make it clear so not to worry.

And, to your second question - I love IPAs! My favorites are (in no particular order): Hopworks IPA, any Hopworks seasonal IPA, Lucky Lab Superdog, Boneyard RPM (from Bend, OR), Gigantic IPA (new brewery in Portland), Hair of the Dog Blue Dot....if I think of any more I'll add them :)

7. Re: Brewpubs and dogs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2013, 10:15