We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Topic
Where to Stay

I am coming in for Labor Day weekend and looking for a place to stay. I am just looking for a general area with cool stuff in the vicinity, then I will find somewhere on AirBNB.com.

I will have a car, so I can get pretty much anywhere as needed with that or I can just leave it at my location.

What would be your top location in Portland to get a feel for the "real Portland"

All the best,

Josh

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay

"Real Portland" might generate some debate - from your other post (boy, you take a lot of 3d trips places) it doesn't seem like you generally want to get too far off the beaten track. I'd suggest inner southeast or NW Portland for your airbnb home base. Use zip codes 97232 or 97209 respectively in your search.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay

Thanks. Yeah, I can't get away for long unfortunately, but I pack it in! Makes for good exercise.

What is near those areas, if you don't mind me asking!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay

Inner SE has the Hawthorne District which is very hip for the 20 to 30 year old crowd. Pipe shops, arts, big street scene. Northwest Portland has easy access to downtown and has it's own personality, edging more to the 30 upward crowd. Lots lof great places to eat, shops, clubs, but a little more spendy than Hawthorne.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay

Well, I found something near Portland Union Station. How's that?

Thanks,

Josh

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay

I can't think of any place near Union Station that I'd recommend as a place for a visitor to stay.

Level Contributor
36,321 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Stay

We really enjoy spending time in the Nob Hill area of Portland. You could check out The Inn @ Northrup Station for lodging in this area. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Stay

jsfatl is going to stay in someone's house via airbnb.com

Union Station has some ambitious new condos as well as a lot of crap nearby. I'd check google streetview. It would be close to everything however.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
482 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Stay

Please DO NOT stay near Union Station. It is an unsavory area in the evening. There are several nice hotels in the downtown area, there is also a wonderful hotel in the NW district.

The Nines downtown is one of the nicer hotels, it is definitely a little spendy but easy access to all the light rail and downtown attractions.

If you want to stay in a nice neighborhood, the NW is nice and a place called The Inn at Northrup Station is very nice.

Hotel Monoco is downtown as well and very nice as is the downtown Marriott (which I prefer over the Marriott waterfront).

Let me know if there's anything else.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Stay

sigh. . .

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Stay

Not so good. Check out Inn at Northrup Station.