We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying around North Portland Overlook, OK to have no car?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
Staying around North Portland Overlook, OK to have no car?

Visiting Portland for the first time ever in October.

We're staying around the N. Portland Overlook neighborhood. Trip is going to last 4 days. Is it OK to not rent a car, or are we kidding ourselves? Looking to explore different neighborhoods around downtown and possibly visiting the Columbia River Gorge (I know we'll definitely need a car at least for that).

Any advice is much appreciated!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying around North Portland Overlook, OK to have no car?

HI there.

Welcome to Portland. I assume you will be staying along N Interstate avenue. Tell me if I'm wrong. But you are in luck, if you are. The Max light rail line called the Yellow Line runs the length of North Interstate Ave with many stops along it.

From the Yellow line, you can connect with the buses and get just about anywhere. You can go downtown and to all of the urban neighborhoods. And of course you are correct about the Gorge - that requires a car.

Fares are reasonable - 2.50 per adult per 2 hours, or you can buy an adult all day ticket for $5.

Just on the light rail alone you can see all of downtown, go up to the Zoo stop which you can connect to the Japanese and International Rose Test Gardens, etc.

Portland's center core just isn't too big and it has good transit. Need details? Just ask.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

2. Re: Staying around North Portland Overlook, OK to have no car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2013, 10:18