We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5th Avenue Suites vs. Hotel Deluxe (exMallory Hotel)

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
5th Avenue Suites vs. Hotel Deluxe (exMallory Hotel)

I realize that the Mallory is still under construction, but I like the retro look and feel of what I saw on their website. Does anyone have an opinion on which would be better to stay at? We will be visiting on May 12th and have a car. Thanks!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5th Avenue Suites vs. Hotel Deluxe (exMallory Hotel)

I am so close to the Mallory that I can walk over and take a look with Pup. I will post back later with my impressions.

As of now, I would stay at the 5th Ave Suites, just because I always do/did and I love em :)

be back later

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5th Avenue Suites vs. Hotel Deluxe (exMallory Hotel)

Thanks Scarlet!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5th Avenue Suites vs. Hotel Deluxe (exMallory Hotel)

The Mallory will be Hotel Deluxe?? sheez, what great imagination.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5th Avenue Suites vs. Hotel Deluxe (exMallory Hotel)

Redfish, I did not get over there today- Things happened to get in the way of my free time SIGH!!

Tomorrow, I promise!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5th Avenue Suites vs. Hotel Deluxe (exMallory Hotel)

I think I'd wait a bit on the Mallory. I have high hope for this lovely building, but renovation is incomplete and it will take time to work out the glitches once the hotel reopens. A tried and true spot for this coming May might be a safer bet.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5th Avenue Suites vs. Hotel Deluxe (exMallory Hotel)

Darn! So the 5th Ave suites are the best bet? My friend that I am visiting likes Hotel Lucia, but from what's been said here I'm leaning towards 5ave.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5th Avenue Suites vs. Hotel Deluxe (exMallory Hotel)

Yes, definitely stay at the 5th Avenue Suites! It will be better than the Mallory/DeLuxe even if there were no construction going on ( IMO)..

and it is around the corner practically from the Lucia and Vintage Plaza which is the sister Kimpton hotel of the 5th Ave Suites.

We always stay at the 5th Ave and love the place!

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5th Avenue Suites vs. Hotel Deluxe (exMallory Hotel)

Thanks Scarlett! And everyone else!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5th Avenue Suites vs. Hotel Deluxe (exMallory Hotel)

The Hotel Mallory was awesome, and the Deluxe will probably be about 85% as cool. Therefore, it will be about equal, in my opinion, to 5th Ave. Since you're coming on May 12th, I'd stay at 5th Ave because the Deluxe won't have their restaurant completed (and therefore no room service, perhaps?) until July. That's why the Deluxe has those great opening rates.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5th Avenue Suites vs. Hotel Deluxe (exMallory Hotel)

Well we've only been to Portland once (this past Sun-Wed) and we stayed at the 5th Ave Suites and loved it--would stay there again! DH said when he was working out in the gym, he say NBA players from the Pheonix Suns (I think that's the name of the team, I know nothing about sports) working out along side of him. So I would say if it's good enough for the NBA, then it's a pretty good hotel!:)