We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24hr car rental for a day trip

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
24hr car rental for a day trip

Going to Portland in 2 weeks for a conference and have 24hrs at the end to explore. Renting a car on Friday morning and flying out again on Saturday AM. Soooo, what to do? Want to visit the Columbia River Gorge and Mt Hood regions---what are the must see/must go places? Thanks

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,591 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24hr car rental for a day trip

Hi World Travellr

I think if you only have 24 hours,it should be the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area.

The water Falls and Rugged Beauty make for a whole lot of wow factor punch for your buck.

A lot of things are free for you to take in. It's close to Portland- east on I-84.

Stern Wheeler in Cascade Locks, Fruit loop is getting ready for Heirloom Apple fest, Bonneville Dam and Locks, exit 40.

My suggestion would be to stop at Multnomah Falls where trained and knowledgeable Volunteers can help you firm up a route for the day. Get off I-84 at the Bridal Veil exit to park at the lot by the restaurant. Get back on about 3 1/2 miles down after passing a few more waterfalls.

Have fun,

Mrs O

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24hr car rental for a day trip

I did that trip in half a day when I was in Portland for work. Rented a car downtown, drove to the Gorge (stopped at the salmon ladders), around Mt. Hood, and then to the airport. You'd have even more time. For your trip you could be back in Portland by evening, even with stops, return your car and stay at a hotel near the airport. Then a quick shutle bus trip to the airport in the morning. You might pay less renting and leaving your car at the same destination.

Edited: 16 September 2012, 18:41
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,591 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24hr car rental for a day trip

You can slow down and enjoy the sights. Stop in at Multnomah Falls and go into Bonneville Dam and Locks, go to Hood River and eat lunch. Or take take a picnic and watch the windsurfers and kiteboarders at Event Park.

Do you enjoy wine? There is an AVA in Hood River that makes Italian Style Wine. Go into Marchesi and Franco will start you on your way to other vintners in Hood River.It's in the Fruit Loop (www.hoodriverfruitloop.com)

There is a vista point just outside of Hood River, exit 64. It's on Oregon 35/26 which will take you to Mount Hood and Timberline Lodge. It is on the the Historical Register. Built just pre-war, opened in 1939, and built with WPA money. Dedicated by Roosevelt. They have a great sunset, one of the best in Oregon. Government Camp is a cute little alpine village next door to Timberline.

Then go back to the Portland Airport on 26 through Sandy and down to Troutdale. That is in between the airport and Portland.

If you like hiking, go to www.nwhiker.com and look for difficulty level or name or feature like waterfall, lake or river. There is a hike across by the Dam named Beacon Rock. It's an ancient Volcano peak that was covered with switchbacks to hike it. Mr. Benton owned it and wanted to stop a ro;ad from going through it. He asked WA to make it a state park. No. they said. He offered it to Oregon and we said yeah! then WA found out and made it a WA park. Fun.

You could scream by at 65, the speed limit, but you could enjoy your day and relax after the conference.

Maybe some of the others may chime in here and give you more help.

Mrs O

Edited: 16 September 2012, 19:42
Corbett, Oregon
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24hr car rental for a day trip

The Columbia Gorge is beautiful, and certainly a good use of a day if you want to get out and do a little walking in to some of the falls that aren't visible from the road. Depending on your arrival timeline, note that the Columbia Historic Scenic Hwy (30) is closed between Vista House / Crown Point and Latourell Falls now until the end of the year. We're suggesting to our hotel guests that you take exit 18 off I-84 for the beautiful drive out the Scenic Hwy to Women's Forum (best view in the Gorge) and Crown Point, and then backtrack four miles to get back on I-84 eastbound (exit 22), getting back to the Scenic at the Bridal Veil exit (28) for access to the falls.

If you want to just look at the falls from the road with brief stops, you could do the Mt. Hood Loop in the day, starting with the above and then get back onto I-84 (exit 38, I believe, although I don't have it in front of me at the moment) out to Hood River and over to Mt. Hood, coming back in 26. If you Google "Mt. Hood Loop" you will find the map.

Re: your other post about outlet shopping, the factory stores are at exit 17 in Troutdale, and right on your way.

Enjoy the day - we live in beauty here. :)

5. Re: 24hr car rental for a day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 10:15