We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip from Portland to SanFrancisco in February

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip from Portland to SanFrancisco in February

Hi! Greetings from Texas & Happy New Year! ! My husband and I are looking at renting a car in Portland and driving to SanFrancisco in February. I turn 40 in January and looking to do something different. We are planning on 4 days starting in Portland and driving the 101 to the Valley of the Giants and then to Napa and some Breweries along the way to San Francisco. Is this possible to do in 4 days? Are we crazy? I am a little crazy but looking for some advice from a few west coast 101 experts;)

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip from Portland to SanFrancisco in February

We did Seattle-LAX (and back) for the Rose Parade, driving 101 both ways. February should be a snap. Don't miss the Newton P. Drury Scenic Parkway just south of Klamath, CA...it is ten miles of ancient redwoods. As you enter the Avenue of the Giants off of 101, be aware that it is 31 miles long...you will see signs trying to entice you to rejoin 101,and you should ignore them and keep going to the end. Magical! Can't help with the breweries.

You can definitely do it in four days.

Edited: 30 December 2012, 17:18
Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip from Portland to SanFrancisco in February

Awesome!! That is great news & Thank you for the great tips!! If you think of anymore please feel free so send them our way;)

A Big Texas Thank You!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip from Portland to SanFrancisco in February

A snap? That depends entirely on the weather and road conditions. Be sure to keep an eye on www.tripcheck.com. Whether you cut over to the coast right from Portland or go south on I-5 from Grants Pass to Crescent City will depend on weather conditions. The coast can get big rain and wind storms, the coastal range can get snow and ice and the Willamette Valley can get anything from just rain to freezing fog and/or snow and ice.

The coastal route should be the best bet, though. Just plan your driving so you are not driving in the dark through the redwoods. Not fun and very dangerous. Those huge redwoods lunge at you suddenly on every curve!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip from Portland to SanFrancisco in February

Hi Crazy4shoes2 and welcome to TripAdvisor.

>>February should be a snap.<<

Err, not necessarily! Having lived on the Oregon coast for many years, I can assure you we do get snow, usually 3-5 times a year now. We also get ice. However, unless there is a severe cold snap, there won't be more than a couple of inches of snow, and the road crews do a great job of sanding.

We also get hurricane force windstorms (80-100 MPH) about a half dozen times of year as well!

www.tripcheck.com is your friend :-)

Okay, weather aside, you're planning on 4 days and 5 nights between Portland and SF along the coast?

It makes a difference in what we might suggest for stopovers.

Do you plan to head due west out of Portland and drive the entire coast?

Let us know a bit more . . .

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip from Portland to SanFrancisco in February

By the way, there are some good brewpubs along your route. Rogue Ales in Newport, Lost Coast in Eureka, Six Rivers in McKinleyville, Eel River Brewpub in Fortuna . . . and more . . .

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip from Portland to SanFrancisco in February

Great advice! We plan on arriving on Wednesday night and driving to Newport and staying the night. Thursday we will check out Newport a bit and go to Sea Lion Cove then drive to Valey of the giants and stay the night right around there. Friday see the redwoods and then head to Fort Bragg to the North Coast Brewing Company. Saturday we plan on going to napa and maybe a brewery or two then Sunday morning see the sanFrancisco bridge and some of San Francisco and fly home that night. I have heard about calling the number for road conditions. Any tips are appreciated!!!!

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip from Portland to SanFrancisco in February

I will accede to your and oregonpoppa's on-scene experience, but we travel from Seattle to the Bay area quite often and have managed to do it in years when the hazards you describe did not happen...the odds are in the OP's favor. I do consider the coast "a snap" compared to Siskiyoiu Pass in February; that's why we take 101.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip from Portland to SanFrancisco in February

The weather is very iffy in February. I would cut over from I-5 to 101 on 99W out of Portland and stay on track until you pass Redding or Mendicino. Take chains (just in case) and stay on the beaten path. Have fun!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip from Portland to SanFrancisco in February

Ooops, a correction for you, Crazy4shoes2:

What you are calling "Valley of the giants" is the Avenue of the Giants. It's old Hwy 101.

It is located about an hour *south* of Eureka, and is NOT in Redwood National Park. So if you drove from Newport all the way there, you'd be going through almost all the redwoods before you get there.

Also, Newport to Avenue of the Giants is about a 7½ hour trip, without counting stops.

10. Re: Road Trip from Portland to SanFrancisco in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2014, 10:17